Talk

Advanced search

Summer-born child remaining in his adopted year - SATS consequences?

(8 Posts)
goonIcantakeit Sat 22-Feb-14 17:35:15

My summer-born son started reception at 5.0 and will remain in his adopted year-group till he is 18.

Will it affect our school's SATS results? When he sits the SATS in year 6, will they be counted for the school's year 6 SATS results even though he is 9 days "old" for his year?

I ask because, if the school is going to "look bad", and if it seems right at the time, I wouldn't mind the teachers having him sit the SATS a year early so the school doesn't suffer. I am hugely grateful to the school for its suport and suspect that competent year 5/6 teachers are more than capable of spinning some yarn about choosing a year 5 "volunteer" to "practise" taking the SATS and then "coincidentally" choosing my son.

PS for anyone following my story, we had a recent period of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt about transition to secondary but now have a lovely unambiguous letter from the LEA confirming that no, he will not be forced to skip a year as "why would we do that to a child?" and he will remain in his adopted year group. Well said that LEA person and hurrah!)

PPS In case anyone was going to ask why we deferred, he developed language very late but is now blossoming and catching up all the time and excelling at maths and has a settled peer group in his adopted year, so there is a consensus that we shouldn't mess with something that's working. More Hurrah!

HoratiaDrelincourt Sat 22-Feb-14 17:46:53

In the olden days, girls in my year at school but chronologically the year below counted neither in the year they took exams (because wrong age) nor in the following year (because not sitting anything).

I'm sure this isn't why LAs block year-jumps hmm

spanieleyes Sat 22-Feb-14 17:47:14

He will sit them at the end of his year 6 even if he is "older" than the majority of the children sitting them, the legal requirement is that a child ( working above level 3) must sit the tests "at the end of the ks2 programmes of study"

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/278150/2014_KS2_assessmentandreportingarrangementsARA_DIGITAL_HO.pdf

section 4.2.1 has the details!

spanieleyes Sat 22-Feb-14 17:49:50

And his results will count for the school in the year he takes them.

mrz Sat 22-Feb-14 18:42:21

"Children older than 11 who have not taken the tests must be entered to take them at the end of the year in which they complete the key stage 2 programme of study, if the headteacher considers the child to be working at level 3 or above."

goonIcantakeit Sat 22-Feb-14 19:04:22

thanks. He'll be 11 when he takes them though, just like all the others?....

still, it sounds as though it will all be problem-free and his year 6 results will count for the school.

thanks again all.

spanieleyes Sat 22-Feb-14 19:08:56

Some children are only 10 when they take the tests ( I have 2 this year who have August 31 birthdays!) so I wouldnt worry about his age, the main point is when he finishes the ks2 curriculum-so end of year 6!

goonIcantakeit Mon 24-Feb-14 07:48:14

Thanks spaniel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now