Talk

Advanced search

KS1 maths websites (reading eggs style)

(12 Posts)
kwaker5 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:05:08

Anyone got any recommendations for maths websites that will appeal to my Y2 DS? I have read some older threads on here but some of them look suspiciously as though they have been hi-jacked by some of the website owners...

He is quite reluctant to do much addition/subtraction as he finds it hard when it goes over a 10 or adding a 2-digit number to a single digit number. He just guesses until he lands on the right answer. Teacher mentioned last parents' eve (October) he was a bit behind and I still don't think he's much further on.

DS would respond well to collecting rewards for work and exchanging them for time on a game if any websites have this format. I liked the look of Mangamaths but I think your school has to subscribe to it in order to join. He has had a go on the BBC Bitesize but always picks the easiest levels!

noramum Wed 19-Feb-14 20:12:38

DD's school recommended this

www.ictgames.com

www.topmarks.co.uk

Both do not work on a tablet though.

For apps we use Squeebles for times tables.

TheGruffalo2 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:21:38

Our school subscribes to Mathletics and it provides home access as well. Children seem to enjoy it and from what I've seen it matches the curriculum well. Parents can subscribe independently but it costs.

TheGruffalo2 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:23:03

That's my second mention of mathletics tonight. Promise I'm not connected to the company, just a primary teacher whose school has just subscribed to it!

kwaker5 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:29:22

Thanks. Does the ICT one have an obvious starting point or do you have to pick different areas to work on? Look as though I can keep an eye on progress though so it would help me work out what areas need more practice.

kwaker5 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:37:10

I believe you Gruffalo. It wasn't the mathletics one I was thinking of...!

LittleMissGreen Thu 20-Feb-14 10:45:11

Our school use rmeasimaths. My boys enjoy it and have come on well since using it, but I have no idea how it compares to any other software.

noramum Thu 20-Feb-14 11:05:38

Re ICT: DD normally tells us what they did in school and she then has a go at home. I don't think we actually went through it by logic.

I would check with his teacher what websites they use in school, maybe she can recommend a couple.

somanyschools Thu 20-Feb-14 14:01:31

I also recommend Mathletics (and no connection to the people who set it up - they are not from the UK I believe) : great website, very helpful.
Bear in mind that the teacher sets the level for their class, not the parents, so your child is 'set' into a specific level. And if your child does better than the set level, it will not be as useful.

AbbyR1973 Thu 20-Feb-14 14:52:06

DS's like maths whizz- they have a room on maths whizz and can earn credits to buy items/ pets/ pet food/ plants for their room. It keeps them motivated.
It does seem to be very good-they take an assessment to set their starting point and then the games/ exercises build in difficulty from there. It gives a lot of reporting detail for parents, including an overall "maths age."
The downside is that it's blooming expensive.

kwaker5 Thu 20-Feb-14 17:53:56

Eeek, Maths Whizz seems a lot more than the others. I suppose a free trial is the answer.

Will def check with school and see if they have any thoughts

PastSellByDate Mon 24-Feb-14 14:13:24

Kwaker5:

Just a Mum but I would start with Woodlands Junior School Maths Zone: resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/

this is absolutely free - but has great links for whatever area of maths you want more practice in. There are links to both worksheets & video games.

-----

MN had a link a while ago to Math Champs: www.mathschamps.co.uk/#home

again this is totally free - and you just can select games by age (or read descriptions - as things like times tables are split across all 3 age groups).

I've posted a lot about mathsfactor - but have also mentioned mathletics, maths whizz & komodo maths (which others on MN have said they've liked/ their kids have liked). Frankly whether it's on-line or a workbook - I think the secret is finding something that appeals to your child. I have girls so mathsfactor (presented by Carol Vorderman) made a lot of sense - it was also very slow and steady which suited DD1 who was very weak at maths when she started. This may not work for your DS at all. He may respond to a more competitive website like mathletics.

So my advice - is use those free trials but also let your DS have a go and an opinion -so it's his choice as well.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now