Talk

Advanced search

Best Primary school in Cambridge

(6 Posts)
krishbond07 Wed 19-Feb-14 06:07:54

Hello,

We will be shifting to Cambridge in May 2014, and My son is 6.5 yr old.

Please guide me with the best primary school for him where he can get admission from May 2014.

Thank you so much,
Nitika

teacherwith2kids Wed 19-Feb-14 08:17:25

Somone local will come along shortly, but uit matters when your child;'s birthday is. If he will turn 7 before September 1st, then he will need a Y2 place for a few months, then a Y3 place - and you stand ore chance of getting a Y3 place even in popular schools as class size is bnot legally limnited to 30. If he doesn't turn 7 until after September 1st, then he will need a Y1 place, going into Y2 in September, and it will be MUCH harder to get a place either in May or September, as the Infant Class Size rules will apply.

In any case, you will npt have a 'free choice' of schools. Most good schools will be full, and you will be relying on an occasional place becoming available. I should imagine that in some areas of Cambridge there is a fairly fluid population, so what you want to know is "Which reasonably OK schools in Cambridge are likely to have space in Y1 / Y2 [depending on your child's actual age] in May or have a space arise regularly."

ladygracie Wed 19-Feb-14 14:32:27

What do you mean by best? Ofsted report? Academic? Pastoral? Does your child have any extra needs?
And also what teacherwith2kids said.

columngollum Wed 19-Feb-14 18:07:19

Maybe put a Cambridge postcode in the league tables and compare similar schools to give yourself a starting place.

TheGruffalo2 Wed 19-Feb-14 18:09:47

From what I've heard many schools are seriously over-subscribed even within catchment areas, so it may be more of a case of where there are spaces!

Biscuitsneeded Wed 19-Feb-14 22:12:46

It depends what you mean by 'best'. Tell us a bit more about the sort of school you're after. I'm local, but rather than give you a run down on every school I know it might be easier if you explain what you would want, ideally. I assume you plan to move into catchment for the chosen school - if you don't, your chances of getting in are very slight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now