Talk

Advanced search

catholic school when not catholic

(6 Posts)
pawre Wed 19-Feb-14 05:38:04

Hi there,

We'll be moving and am looking at a new school for our kids. The catholic one seems to be a top choice however we are not catholic. I know our chances of getting in my be slim but wanted to check here before making it one of our top 3 choices.

Anyone not catholic with kids in a catholic school? Would love to hear how your kid(s) adjusted, do they attend Mass, is religion constantly talked about in every subject, you think they will be catholic when older?

Mine are 6 and 8 years. We are not Christian and/or religious by any means and actually would rather not have them have any RE of any sort...

Thanks for sharing.

arabellarubberplant Wed 19-Feb-14 05:47:44

My girls are in a catholic school. My son isn't, but is moving there in sept.

If you don't want them to have RE, or any faith teaching, don't do it.

Mine are not catholic, but are now able to ream off massive tracts of whatever-it-is by heart, and take part in the school mass etc. they are excused from taking communion, but take part in all of the joint worship.

This year's play is 'Jesus Christ superstar' and dd2 is John the Baptist.

There are daily references to faith.

My children are circumspect and respectful, and take part with good will.

I would not put them in a catholic school if I had any intention of trying to avoid faith teaching. It is a very basic tenet of the ethos.

That said, dd1 was in a c of e middle school, which other than a weekly assembly, was largely secular. Not so much a catholic school - Catholicism is infused into every situation. And parents get invited to mass regularly too.

sashangel Wed 19-Feb-14 07:54:47

If you don't want any religious education of any kind then this school is not for you.

I am catholic and chose the school I went to as a child for my DD. Religion is pretty much in everything they do. From prayers 4 times a day (morning, before lunch, after lunch and home time) to collective worship and mass. They do RE and also speak about religion in other subjects. Most if not all plays are religious in tone. There are also visits from priest and nuns as well as Catholic charities. It isn't something you can avoid.

My DD regularly asks about religion but wether that is from school or church I am not sure.

prh47bridge Wed 19-Feb-14 15:15:13

Visit the school and watch it in operation. Talk to parents of existing pupils. Catholic schools vary. Some have lots of religious content, others are no more religious than the average community school. The school may be similar to those described by the previous posters but it may be completely different.

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Wed 19-Feb-14 15:39:39

Well put it this way ,a lady who regularly attends Masss told me our school seemed very Gody to her confused

itsahen Wed 19-Feb-14 20:37:47

I am RC and my kids baptised but I opted for community non faith school as our local RC school is very catholic. I wasn't sure I wanted so much religion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now