Talk

Advanced search

Any public schools in North London that take up to 13 years?

(7 Posts)
WeAreMoving Mon 17-Feb-14 10:31:05

Hi there

We're moving over from Australia soon and are investigating schools. We'll be living in Golders Green and are looking at private schools as we have been told that we'll have more luck however I am interested in checking out the public schools as well. However we are only intending to stay for a maximum of three years so I'm keen to find a school that my 9 year old will be able to stay at for the whole time we are there.

However it seems that most of the public schools only go up to 11 years. Am I not looking in the right place?

Help?

Thanks

Sue

Carltondance Mon 17-Feb-14 11:11:08

I assume that by public you mean state (in the uk public school means the very old and prestigious private schools like eton and harrow).

The vast majority of schools in England are primary until year 6 (11 year olds) then secondary. There are a few areas where there are a few middle schools. Harrow borough would be closest to golders green where there are a couple. However you are still a long way away in golders green and are very unlikely to get a place unless you move to the area. Also the middle system is declining and there is always the risk that they will be turned into a standard primary/secondary. Sorry that it's not the answer you were looking for.

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 11:13:52

google 'state secondary schools golders green'
avoid the term 'public' - 'state' is better

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 11:15:33

sorry pressed send too soon.
google 'state primary school golders green' as well.
perhaps you would be better off going for a private school if you want the same school for the whole time you plan to be in London, as state schools do have that natural break at 11.

LIZS Mon 17-Feb-14 11:16:00

Most state schools (I think that is what you mean by public) transfer at 11 to secondary, a few areas have middle schools which go to 12 or even 13 but these are relatively few and far between. You could look at Prep Schools (fee paying junior schools) some of which will go up to 13 .

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 17-Feb-14 11:23:00

In some regions they have first, middle and high schools, where a middle school would meet your needs. But clearly not in the area you're looking at.

There will be many private schools serving ages 8-13.

Alternatively, choosing a primary (to 11) from which nearly all the pupils go to the same secondary (11+) could be a good choice.

Personally I think finding a school that is a good match for your child now is more important than anticipating or avoiding a transition which is several years away.

slowcomputer Mon 17-Feb-14 21:09:46

Girl or boy? If a girl, look at St. Margaret's in Kidderpore Gardens, small private school that goes from 4-16, junior and senior on the same site. It's not a typical entry point so you'd need someone to be leaving for them to have a space, but they are quite flexible so, for example, if someone was leaving in a different year they might be able to take your daughter. Headteacher is Mark Webster and he is very approachable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now