Talk

Advanced search

Super ciritical mother!

(18 Posts)
manchestermummy Mon 17-Feb-14 10:10:17

The other night DD1 wrote this:

Today I went to the market to sell Daisy white the cow. I was verry upset Daisy looked verry wrorred. On the way I saw a old puculia man and the straing looking man and he said I'll swop you for some magic beans. I said how magic are they? and the man said I can't tell you about that because its a secrat. Eney I sciped home on the wiggely road and I thort to my self I wonder if my mother wold be happy. as soon as I saw the cottag and my mum and my mum looked ancrishash. When I got to my mum she was verry angry she whent Inside and threw the magic beans out of the window and sent me to my bedroom and with no supper. The next morning and saw a colossal beanstalk. I went out side and climd it.

She is 6 and in Y1. I think this is really good, and more to the point, she enjoyed sitting down and writing it. In fact, writing stories is her latest favourite thing to do.

I showed this to my mother who immediately pounced on punctuation and some spelling. She did this to me throughout my entire school career (and beyond!) and she has come to the conclusion that my daughter's achievements at school are not good enough. My spelling at this age was simply shocking and my handwriting was unintelligable.

Apologies if this comes across as a bit of a stealth boast. I'm proud of my DD and have nowhere else to voice this!

ForgettableTampon Mon 17-Feb-14 10:19:56

I wouldn't bother sharing stuff with her again

Your DD sounds lovely, such creativity. Phonetic plausibility, great descriptives. Well done.

Laura0806 Mon 17-Feb-14 10:37:31

thats looks v good to me for a 6 year old in year 1. Be v proud and don't bother showing your mum again

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 10:40:37

I think it is good. Just do not show anything like that to your mother again

pointythings Mon 17-Feb-14 10:40:59

That's really good for Yr1, I wouldn't bother showing your mum anything again. She is bound to be viewing the past through rose-tinted specs.

Mrswellyboot Mon 17-Feb-14 10:41:00

Nip it in the bud. I love the quote 'be grateful for the difficult people in your life, they show you who you don't want to be'

Say to your mum that you don't want your daughter hearing criticism from her mother or grandmother as it can hurt her through to her adult life. Give her food for thought

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 17-Feb-14 10:41:36

that is a pity - my mum was a primary school teacher and she is full of huge amounts of praise for EVERYTHING my daughters do.

My daughter has been doing a lot of rewriting fairy tales at school, wonder if yours has too hence the idea.

I just wouldn't show your mum her work again. it would be such a shame if your daughter picked up on her grandma not being impressed with it.

At parents evening I was told that they want them to use full stops, capital letters at the start of sentences, write legibly, try and spell correctly if they know the words or phonetically if they don't know the spellings yet. I know some are using question marks, exclamation marks and speech marks but I am not sure if they are expected in Yr1.

Fairenuff Mon 17-Feb-14 11:10:04

This is the story that some classes in KS1 have been working on, almost word for word. Including the 'peculiar gentleman' and the 'colossal beanstalk' so I can see where she got her ideas from.

However, she has remembered to use the adjectives and no doubt added some of her own. She has some idea of sentence structure with full stops in the right place but is not secure with capital letters yet.

You can tell that she is trying hard to implement all that she has been taught and this piece of writing would not look out of place in Year 2.

Is ancrishash 'angryish'? The word we would use is furious and she may have thought it was furyish and got mixed up. I would check this word with her.

Anyway, it's a great little piece of writing and she deserves acknowledgement for that. If you mum is overly critical don't show her any more work or pictures. Just tell you daughter that she is clever to remember so much of her learning smile

manchestermummy Mon 17-Feb-14 11:12:40

Ancrishash was apparently anxious....!

I just wanted my mum to appreciate how well my DD is doing. I can see that this is completely pointless!

redskyatnight Mon 17-Feb-14 11:38:31

I think we have the same mother!!
I have given up telling her more than "oh they are doing fine" when she asks about the DC - otherwise everything they do is criticised. She took me aside one time to tell me she was "extremely worried" about DD's reading. DD was only 5 at the time, and actually one of the best readers in her class!! I've also seen how much it demoralises the children - she completely shattered DS once - he was very excited to have lost his first tooth, and she told him that he was very late to be losing his first tooth and most children had lost several teeth by his age - as if he any control over it at all!

manchestermummy Mon 17-Feb-14 11:48:38

Goodness, we do indeed have the same mother!

I once had the following conversation with her. It was end the of Year 9 music exam. By this point I'd been playing the piano for seven years and was rather good at the old music thing:

Me: Guess what! I got 98 per cent in music!
Mum: Oh. Where did that put you in the year?
Me: Top, actually.
Mum: I see. So why did you miss that 2 per cent then?

MiaowTheCat Mon 17-Feb-14 12:32:49

Sounds like my mother - down to the missing percentage thing (only in my case it was 99% and I actually sobbed in class cos I knew I'd get it for the missing 1%.

BellBottomBlues Mon 17-Feb-14 15:53:28

Your mother sounds like hard work - like a damp duvet thrown over your pride. It's a good bit of writing.

(I wouldn't let her see the thread title btw)

manchestermummy Mon 17-Feb-14 16:10:19

Mwah ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kill me now!

See, I'm nervous just thinking about her sometimes!

usernameunknown Mon 17-Feb-14 16:40:50

My mum is the same, unless she has friends over and she wants to 'show off' her wonderful grandchildren!

DS (now 9) was reading chapter books when he started reception. Mum used to criticise him if he needed to sound out a word sad. If her friend was there though she would get him to read to her and say how clever he was.

Well done to your DD

KingscoteStaff Tue 18-Feb-14 08:02:49

Back in the days before A*, my DS got 11As and 1 B in her GCSEs.

My mum: "What a pity about the B, darling."

harryhausen Tue 18-Feb-14 08:08:34

Kings, my mum said the same thing. She told me I would never pass anything because I went out with my friends. I got two A's and a C. Her mouth twitched and she said "What was the C in?". That was IT.

When I got married I organised the whole wedding myself and took a friend wedding dress shopping. On the morning of my wedding my mum said she supposed I looked 'ok' and that the dress made me look a bit slimmer than normal (I was a size 14).

Anyway, I'm going off topic. OP, you're dd's writing is amazing for Y1. My son is quite young in Y2 and is nowhere near that standard. He has great imagination but I can't make much if it outgrin.

Don't share your dd's stuff with your mum.

RubySparks Tue 18-Feb-14 08:10:37

Oh God mine too ... Exactly the same with % thing when I did well in higher maths prelim, my DS now just done his prelims and did extremely well on a recent course assessment and I had the awful temptation to say the % thing, why just why would I be tempted to do that? I didn't and just said how well he had done, so hoping he doesn't feel the way I used to.

I think DM sort of was making a joke but it just made me feel rubbish and stop trying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now