Talk

Advanced search

levels of national curriculum

(12 Posts)
hashtagwhatever Sat 15-Feb-14 23:35:12

Hi all,

6yo dd year 1 has sn and i have just received her school report her levels over all subjects are marked as W?. Would anybody be able to tell me what this stands for please.

because of dd's sn i know she is very behind other children of her age but i haven't come across a mark of W, usually it will be a 1b,1c ect

hope that made sense. Thank you in advance.

MrsShrek3 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:43:58

would it be wa wb etc? WA is working at/above expectation (average age related) and wb working below?

MirandaWest Sat 15-Feb-14 23:45:25

W means they aren't yet working at a level 1 - think it may be working towards. I'd have thought they would be using P-scales though as W doesn't really give enough detail.

MrsShrek3 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:46:11

btw (SEN teacher) if not yet on nc levels your dd may well be assessed using P scales - pre-NC levels of attainment from level 1 (low) to 8 (covers most of a NC 1C)
hope that makes sense.

MrsShrek3 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:47:48

some schools use the WA/WB system until halfway through y1 (doesn't make sense to me, but still...) then move to p scales.

really1234 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:59:19

W is 'working towards' level 1c (which is the lowest NC level) where we are.

hashtagwhatever Sun 16-Feb-14 00:20:04

Thank you.

dd very much so needs to be sat with and helped with her work, her attention span is very short and she isn't able to sit still for very long. I think alot of that contributes to her levels. With another 30 children in the classroom the teacher obviously can not sit beside my dd at all times.

i have brought this up with the school, and asked to see the senco which hadn't yet happened. At times dd can write her own name others she doesn't.

mrz Sun 16-Feb-14 10:33:56

Has she been identified by the school as having SEN and is she on the SEN register? If she is I would expect the school to use P scales rather than W.

crispycronut Sun 16-Feb-14 17:04:40

Ds is also in Yr 1 but our school uses P scales so at least I know where he is on some kind of level with expectations for moving forward.

They are working towards getting him on P8 by the end of the year but like your DD he cant work independently.

Does your DD have IEPs and targets? It might be worth popping over onto the SN board, i would be lost without their advice and Ds would be being failed even more so than he is now.

hashtagwhatever Sun 23-Feb-14 18:56:39

Hi
sorry hadn't seen the replies.

dd is on the sn register yes. Her sen status on her report states school action i have just noticed. Not totally sure what that means?.

crispycronut Sun 23-Feb-14 19:52:04

School Action means she is having additional support.

If she has outside input coming into school like Ed Psych, Speech/language then she would be on school action plus.

I would chase up a meeting with the SENCO.

hashtagwhatever Sun 23-Feb-14 20:38:28

I definitely will chase up senco

i was thinking of taking dd back to the gp also. She was seen whilst young by different Drs regarding her gross motor delay but hasn't been for quiet some time. She did see the school doctor who said he would liase with the neurologist dd saw as a baby and get back to us, yet never did

thank you for the replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now