Talk

Advanced search

Could someone level this writing? Thanks

(19 Posts)
Summersunandflowers Sat 15-Feb-14 07:43:12

The Dragon
Once open a time there was a princess that had a lovely singing but a dragon stoll her in one swoop. The princess had three chansis to get away. She got stuk one day anuver day a crickit stoped her the last day she ascaped. The end
Thanks.

Journeytolight Sat 15-Feb-14 08:15:52

4c? That's what I would say

Journeytolight Sat 15-Feb-14 08:16:47

Maybe 3a

youarewinning Sat 15-Feb-14 08:18:11

Was the writing legible? As in could you read it without help to decode? Was there any use of capital letters, full stops or other punctuation?

Summersunandflowers Sat 15-Feb-14 08:20:16

Writing was legible. Capital letters and full stops were the only punctuation.
Thanks for your replies.

FloppyPoppyCocky Sat 15-Feb-14 08:24:07

1A with other work at a consistent standard.

Journeytolight Sat 15-Feb-14 08:31:40

Well then, if that is the case then I'd give it 2c/2b now. I thought maybe there was some interesting punctuation. The simple structure and the few spelling mistakes does lower the mark. Also the way that it starts with once upon a time is a classic but assuming DC is in lower KS1, I wouldn't worry about that until later.

usernameunknown Sat 15-Feb-14 08:46:02

4c??? confused

Were you joking journey?

Journeytolight Sat 15-Feb-14 08:56:08

2c, typo sorry and the other was 2a, oops. To do list: get touch typing lessons

tiredbutnotweary Sat 15-Feb-14 11:14:57

Follow this link to a simple, straightforward document produced by Great Woods School on levels for KS1

gymboywalton Sat 15-Feb-14 11:29:17

you can't level such a small sample of writing

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Sat 15-Feb-14 11:46:35

Sorry to jump in just wanted to say a huge thanks for this link...its so helpful!

tiredbutnotweary Sat 15-Feb-14 13:33:26

You're welcome!

There's also one for KS2 - just google the school name & KS2 levels & it should come up.

Theconstantlygardening Sat 15-Feb-14 14:22:06

I'd say 2b/2c.

There are a lot of spelling mistakes of words that cover taught spelling- eg 'magic' e; -ck endings; high frequency words like 'another'. There are full stops missing too and the story doesn't hang together- what happened to her 3 chances?

mrz Sat 15-Feb-14 19:22:10

Without seeing the work (and other examples ) it's impossible to level but based on single piece I wouldn't give higher than 1A.

YouAreMyRain Sat 15-Feb-14 20:46:17

Theconstantlygardening
Chance one - she got stuck
Chance two - a "crickit" stopped her
Chance three - she got away

youarewinning Sat 15-Feb-14 22:02:26

Sorry asked a question then went out - bit rude of me!

I would say a 1A if other writing is of same standard across the genres. Not enough content to be marked with level 2 yet. Shows real potential though.

Fairenuff Sat 15-Feb-14 22:11:32

I would say 1A. The punctuation isn't consistent and the first sentence doesn't make sense.

There also isn't enough of it to level any higher. Many children start off fairly well and then lose concentration and their writing becomes more lacking in punctuation and less fluent. A short piece of writing does not reflect the writing stamina.

ABofDoncaster Sun 16-Feb-14 11:42:20

It's good! I'd give it a secure level 1 (1B) with lots of good points. To give a child a 1A for writing, I'd need to see lots more evidence and slightly longer pieces of writing which display a little more stamina.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now