Talk

Advanced search

Experience of teacher leaving mid year 6?

(17 Posts)
pullingoutmyhair Thu 13-Feb-14 18:38:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Thu 13-Feb-14 18:41:13

When we have hd teachers leave midyear, if they haven't appointment a replacement, we have long term supply in place - so the same teacher every day and for the duration. Our long term supply are usually people already known to the school, as we tnd to draw on supply we have used previously and who know the school and children well.

poshme Thu 13-Feb-14 18:41:41

New head will start in September so they should put in place a temporary (but just 1) teacher for the summer term for your Dc class.
I'd be very surprised if they just had a succession of supply teachers- it's much more expensive.
There should be a proper handover to the new teacher- but there may not be. Once new teacher is in place, you is go and See then & outline your concerns etc.

Note- I say should, it doesn't always happen.
(Used to be a primary teacher)
Hth

poshme Thu 13-Feb-14 18:42:13

Sorry about typos- on phone!

Hulababy Thu 13-Feb-14 19:39:52

A new head now won't start tol September at earliest I would think - tbh, fom what I have heard from other schools, getting a new good head can take much longer. Our HT also leaves at Easter and the Governors haven't even yet got to the point where they have decided the next steps forward, let alone putting out an advert yet. It s a long process.

springrain Thu 13-Feb-14 22:05:00

Hi - if head is retiring they are likely to have known about this for a while and will have a plan in terms of backfill for the Y6 teacher. The school won't want to be mucking up the SATS either so it is in their own best interests to have this nailed and work well. I second going in to talk to the cover teacher up front as suggested by PPs and that there is likely to be a long term cover teacher they already have a relationship with, or otherwise someone they have arranged through other primaries/local secondary they work with.

pullingoutmyhair Thu 13-Feb-14 22:41:44

pullingoutmyhair Fri 14-Feb-14 06:58:46

Frikadellen Fri 14-Feb-14 10:33:51

With us when the teacher went on maternity leave I y6 they got in a teacher on a short term contract who then had the vlass for the rest of the year. It was dealt with smoothly and no real change for the children.

Similar happened when ht left this December hand over to teacher as acting head then new short term teacher into cover the rest of the school uear. Acting head has been offered position of head as of 1dt feb and temp contract teacher has been employed full this was for y1&3 mixed years classes worked well.

Frikadellen Fri 14-Feb-14 10:35:08

Re hand over go and ask school directly jow this will be dealt with. No reason t cant still go ahead

Hulababy Fri 14-Feb-14 18:44:08

Although very diffierent circumstances DD had no permanent class teacher for much of Y6 as their class teacher (was also deputy head) died just before term started They employed a long term supply to cover. It is an independent school so no SATs but they did have entrance exams during this time. School were very good and supported the children throughout their exams and their learning did not suffer in anyway. The headteacher and the long term supply did all the handover arrangements, organised the visits, made sure every pupilw as ready for their exams, etc.

It can work out fine and with no issues, honestly, even in the worst of situations. So I am sure, as they knew she was likely to retire, they will be sorting it behind the scenes as we type.

BackforGood Fri 14-Feb-14 18:49:44

My dd (now in Yr10) started Yr6 with a job share. One went off long term sick. Then the other got rushed into hospital as an emergency admission. Then they did have temporary cover for a while, then they got someone in long term supply. Everyone survived. It's life - teachers are entitled to retire just the same as everyone else.

As others have said, as this is known in advance they will almost certainly have appointed someone to do the long term cover.

As your dd is on the SEN Register, then the SENCo will be involved in transition to secondary.

brettgirl2 Sat 15-Feb-14 12:38:13

worried sick I mean really? I'm sorry but you need to get some perspective.

LIZS Sat 15-Feb-14 12:44:52

wouldn't the SENCO oversee any transfer issues in your dd's case ? As long as the school has been managed well until now you will probably see little difference, and the teacher can still arrange the things she has promised in her new capacity. All you can do is play down the concerns to your dd and reassure her.

cece Sat 15-Feb-14 12:45:03

I teach Year 6. We have very detailed forms to complete for each child with regards to levels, strengths, weaknesses, SEN, additional needs, any relevant family circumstances etc. In addition we also have a meeting with the Head of Year 7 to discuss each child. Transition to Y7 is really organised and structured. Honestly. smile

ABofDoncaster Sun 16-Feb-14 17:57:02

"She has a crisis if PPA teacher does a different day so heaven help me!"
I sympathise, but the reality is that secondary school is going to be full of changes - different class teachers, different timings etc.
This might be a good opportunity for her to see that the world doesn't end when there is a change in routine.

pullingoutmyhair Tue 18-Feb-14 19:53:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now