Talk

Advanced search

I am a shit parent-cba to go to SAT's eve at school tonight

(10 Posts)
ggirl Thu 13-Feb-14 18:00:15

it starts in 30 seconds

SapphireMoon Thu 13-Feb-14 18:15:47

Did you go?!
Don't worry if not. SATs are a big deal for the school but should not be so much for your child. Sure you can get paper handouts if you want them.

ggirl Thu 13-Feb-14 18:25:03

I did not go, the constant communication from the school about the sats is frankly making me feel like a shit parent cos I think it's for their benefit not ds' so am not gonna coach him to the nth degree at home.

I've already agreed to buy 3 sats practice books from them ,apparently they have no record of ds giving in the cheque ! Went from my account tho.
Dd did these sat's 11 yrs ago and I do not remember this level of pressure then.

Sorry slight rant ....

pointythings Thu 13-Feb-14 19:20:10

Ours was in October and I went - but I refused to shell out for the books. If DD2 gets SATs related homework (and that started happening from day 1 of Yr6) fair enough although it bloody annoys me that she isn't doing much new stuff but I too have no intention of drilling her at home.

She's already doing extension classes after school (loves them, wants to do them, otherwise would not be doing them) but if the school sends home a pile of extra revision over Easter I will be well and truly miffed.

mummy1973 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:23:54

I don' t blame you and I certainly wouldn't be buying books. Off to get a glass of wine before I start to rant!

AryaUnderfoot Thu 13-Feb-14 19:32:57

Dd did these sat's 11 yrs ago and I do not remember this level of pressure then.

There wasn't the level of pressure 11 years ago. Now schools (and individual teachers) are under immense pressure to ensure every child reaches their 'target' level.

Naturally, that pressure is then passed onto the pupils and parents.

It's an inevitable result of the target-driven approach to managing schools by government and managing teachers by their HTs.

This is part of the reason why I left the profession.

pointythings Thu 13-Feb-14 20:43:36

DD1 did SATs 2 years ago and the pressure has intensified considerably even since then. It's just plain sad.

ggirl Thu 13-Feb-14 21:03:53

I am glad it's not only me...I feel for the teachers but I am not getting dragged into the relentless coaching.

pointythings Thu 13-Feb-14 21:12:05

You're doing the right thing. What you want is for your DS to go to secondary with correct information about what he can and can't do so that he ends up in the correct set.

Coaching the hell out of him so that he ends up with inflated levels will not achieve this. His secondary school teachers will thank you for not pushing him beyond where he really belongs.

ggirl Thu 13-Feb-14 21:21:32

yes exactly-cos I am sure not going to be coaching him all through secondary school !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now