Talk

Advanced search

Children and Chores

(9 Posts)
sashangel Thu 13-Feb-14 10:31:56

My 5 year old DD has been bought a Disney Frozen sticker book where you have to buy the packs of cards.

I don't want to just give her the money for a pack each week I would like her to earn them and I am going to make a chart so she knows exactly what she has to do to earn them.

The problem is I cant think of any chores other than tidying her toys away which she does anyway. Does anyone have any ideas? Am I wrong in doing this?

Impatientismymiddlename Thu 13-Feb-14 10:33:27

She can help:
fold the washing when it's dry
Put the dishes away
Load the dishwasher
Do some dusting

Impatientismymiddlename Thu 13-Feb-14 10:34:14

Oh and you are not wrong, it's good for children to do small jobs to earn money rather than being expected to get everything they want with zero effort.

Oblomov Thu 13-Feb-14 10:41:52

Put dirty clothes in washing basket every night.
Tidy up bedroom.
Pair socks.
Put her own pants and socks away.
Wipe kitchen floor.

Ds1 and ds2(5) do these , plus plenty more.

Beehatch Thu 13-Feb-14 10:44:16

My kids chores are based mostly around putting their own clothes and shoes away - clothing lying around on the floor gives me the rage. They also straighten their beds and have to make some attempt at keeping their room tidy (more or less!)

Adikia Thu 13-Feb-14 10:52:07

DD(5) lays the table, takes her plate out, feeds the dog, helps me take the rubbish out and helps clean/mop the kitchen (although that's not actually very helpful and i usually end up re-doing it)

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 13-Feb-14 11:34:01

tidying up, dusting (especially popular if they get to use a feather duster), putting clothes away, helping sort the airing cupboard, keeping bedroom tidy, putting books back on the bookcase, making bed, getting their nightclothes out or getting uniform ready for the next day, checking their school bags have what they need and so on.

noramum Thu 13-Feb-14 11:38:39

DD gets pocket money because she needs to learn to deal with money and budgeting.

I expect her to help at home because we all have our duties and if she helps we have more time doing fun things together. I don't want her to help to get paid for it. I don't get paid for doing homework so why should she.

Her chores are: tidying her room, helping with setting and clearing table, helping to tidy other rooms, put away shopping, keep her shoes and coats where they are suppose to be and various ad hoc things.

She uses her pocket money to save and buy toys or magazines so she learns that these things do not come out of thin air.

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 13-Feb-14 11:45:18

my little girls have a current fascination with polishing shoes so I think I might get one of those sponge shoe shine things for them to use to polish their school shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now