Talk

Advanced search

DD has written her first ever story -anyone able to level it?

(23 Posts)
happymilly Wed 12-Feb-14 12:16:44

Very surprised last night as DD(y1) who hates writing suddenly declared she wanted to write a story! As she has never written anything at home before it's been hard for me to see how she is doing with her writing so if anyone could give me any idea of level for this that would be great as I have been a bit worried about it. Thank you.

Lieettl Radlee dog

one day littl radley dog was warking along the rod wen he sor spotey dog radly dog jumpt on spote dog car. the to of them chattit and chattit and sor all of the luvlee vyoow. they livd [happily ever after] -

The bit in brackets is her words but she asked me to spell them for her!

MumbleJumbles Wed 12-Feb-14 12:22:33

So Sweet - do you own a Radley handbag per chance?!!

I'm no expert at this sort of thing, but i could understand and read it phonetically perfectly (if that makes sense!). Similar sort of stories that my DC (now yr2) when writing he was in yr1. He's top third in his class of 30 now....if that helps?

MumbleJumbles Wed 12-Feb-14 12:24:24

ps just encourage the writing thing....kids seem to progress in fits & starts, my DC was slow progress in yr1 (even though teacher was fab), but has flown since starting yr2. I just kept him keen and encouraged every step of the way. His spelling is still awful though shock

happymilly Wed 12-Feb-14 12:24:52

Thanks mumblejumbles - yes it was inspired by my Radley keyring which I had let her play with!

happymilly Wed 12-Feb-14 12:26:12

I know - the fits and starts thing is hard as one minute you are worrying then suddenly they seem really keen to do something. I was very pleased she did this on her own initiative as she has been so against writing anything that I had totally backed off for a while so maybe my approach has worked!

SaveTheMockingBird Wed 12-Feb-14 12:27:38

I don't know the level as my DS is only in Reception, but it's lovely when they want to write a story isn't it!
My DS has been writing a couple of stories, and he can't write "one" or "was" properly, it's "wan" and "wos". He uses the sounds he learnt in phonics and uses them in weird instances, but I don't correct him, bless him!

MumbleJumbles Wed 12-Feb-14 12:30:16

If she hates writing for a bit, do some maths instead, if she's hating maths, do some reading. Gosh, I sound like some sort of tiger mum, I'm honestly not! But my DS needs encouragement and praise to want to do things, whereas my DC2 in reception happily plays with her letters and sounds pack all weekend long without any prompting at all!

happymilly Wed 12-Feb-14 12:30:17

I'm assuming that at this stage they are concentrating more on the story structure i.e. beginning, middle, end and the idea of conveying meaning through the story rather than the spellings but I may be wrong!

It's hard though as they are taught phonics but then with spelling I guess you have to start un-teaching it as there are lots of words that are not spelt phonetically!

SaveTheMockingBird Wed 12-Feb-14 12:31:57

yes my DS didn't even want to hold a pen or pencil a couple of months ago and now he is so into it. I nearly fell off my chair the other day when he wrote in his story that the "king and queen had a pet" with no help with the spelling whatsoever.
But the next day he could be writing the same story and get it completely wrong!

MumbleJumbles Wed 12-Feb-14 12:33:15

Yes, I have always thought that phonics creates a spelling issue... i am a complete STICKLER for spelling, and I hate that my DS's spellings are dreadful. I didnt do phonics as a child and my spelling is pretty much perfect (natch!). My DH, on the other hand, did phonics and has DREADFUL spelling. Not for one minute suggesting that all phonics kids will be dreadful spellers though! My DS now has spelling homework, which started in yr2. Seems to be slightly helping. Lots and lots and lots of reading helps spelling though, in my opinion....the more they read, the more words they see and the more they remember how to spell smile

FannyFifer Wed 12-Feb-14 12:47:03

What on earth does that mean "level it"?
Your Dd has written a cute little story would you not just be proud of her for that.

happymilly Wed 12-Feb-14 13:19:37

apologies for writing on the education board asking about my daughter's education fannyfifer confused

RainYourRottingMyDhaliaBulbs Wed 12-Feb-14 14:20:50

*What on earth does that mean "level it"?
Your Dd has written a cute little story would you not just be proud of her for that*

Painful to read comments like that.

If you don't have anything positive to say Fanny or disprove of op, its best not to comment at all as its not helpful or constructive.

This is not AIBU AFTER ALL. confused

Anyway OP what a sweet little story, its just soooo cute. I am not a teacher but yes I agree I would personally be more interested in story structure, ideas, vocab and so on...rather than spelling.

Picklesauage Wed 12-Feb-14 16:16:25

First things first, what a gorgeous little story! She has a lovely turn of phrase and the story makes complete sense, which is the first big hurdle.

Now being a rather harsh year 6 marker when it comes to levelling I will be honest. To level this is difficult because her sentence structure is non existent really. She doesn't punctuate at all correctly, shows no understanding of what a sentence actually is. This is one area that holds a lot of weight when levelling. However the story is complete and makes sense. I would say it is still within level 1. Simply because of the punctuating.

Keep her excited about writing and gently correct the punctuation, but not the point of frustrating her and discouraging her desire to write. Hope that helps!

lougle Wed 12-Feb-14 16:22:43

Picklesausage shock it has two full-stops! grin

It is the most lovely story. I love 'chattit' and 'vyoow'.

I find myself torn on phonics. I love it for reading. I despise it for spelling. I think it's because I'm a spelling pedant and it almost physically pains me to see spelling errors - to see so many, often uncorrected, is absolutely excruciating. However, I chant to myself 'it's a process...it's a process.'

happymilly Wed 12-Feb-14 16:30:53

Thanks picklesausage I am happy with within level 1 as tbh I thought that she might not even be working at year 1 level yet!

We are working on her capital letters and full stops but she does often forget! I am not the best at spelling so hopefully can break the pattern with DD!

tiredbutnotweary Wed 12-Feb-14 20:53:02

Hi Happy,

It's a lovely little story and just the best feeling when DC's initiate writing a story for the first time smile

I'm not sure if you want a tip, however I've found this helpful with DD. It's the idea of a sentence sandwich, the capital letter and punctuation (don't say full stop) are the bread, and the words are the filling. It's quite fun to say "did you remember / don't forget your sentence sandwich" - well DD loves it anyway!

MrsKCastle Wed 12-Feb-14 20:53:27

I disagree with picklesausage about the sentence structure- it actually has a complex sentence, a compund one and two simple sentences- good balance! Mostly grammatically correct, but missing 's' on a couple of words. Two of the four sentences have full stops as well- but punctuation is certainly an area for improvement.

She also has nice vocab choices (e.g. 'chatted and chatted') and good awareness of story structure and language.

I'd say a 1b- but that's without looking at the level descriptors, and I'm more used to levelling 4s and 5s, so not an expert at this level.

It's a great piece of work though. smile

mrz Wed 12-Feb-14 21:09:19

"It's hard though as they are taught phonics but then with spelling I guess you have to start un-teaching it as there are lots of words that are not spelt phonetically!"

No you need to teach her that her that there are different spellings for some sounds and in this word we spell the sound this way ... all words are spelt phonetically.

It's not possible to accurately level a single piece of writing because there needs to be evidence of writing for different purposes - letters, reports- instructions etc as well as stories but it's level 1

I can see evidence for the statements in bold

1.Can write own first name with appropriate upper and lower case letters (may not be
accurate).
2 Can form most letters correctly, although size and shape may be irregular.
3 Writes simple regular words, some spelt correctly.
Begins to make phonic attempts at words.
Can spell CVC words (consonant, vowel, consonant e.g. sit / bag / cat) usually correctly.
Writes captions, labels and attempts other simple forms of writing, (lists, stories etc).
Can show some control over letter size, shape and orientation in writing.
Can say what writing says and means.
Can produce own ideas for writing.
Can show some control over word order producing logical statements.
Can spell most common monosyllabic words correctly (most R / Y1 High Frequency words).
Can make recognisable attempts at spelling words not known, (almost all decodable without the child’s help).
Can write simple text such as lists, stories, explanations.
Begin to show awareness of how full stops are used in writing.
Can usually give letters a clear and regular size, shape and orientation (ascenders and
descenders / use of upper and lower case are usually accurate).
Can use simple words and phrases to communicate meaning (majority of work can be read/decoded by an adult without assistance from the child, must be three or more statements).
Can use ANY connective, (may only ever be ‘and’) to join 2 simple sentences, thoughts,ideas etc.
Can use appropriate vocabulary, (should be coherent and sensible).
Can use phonic strategies when trying to spell unknown words.
Can produce a paragraph or more of developed ideas independently, that can be read without help from the child (may be more like spoken than written language / must not be a retell).

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 12-Feb-14 21:27:10

I think you've been very harsh there Picklesausage. It's not that hard to level. With the usual caveats about not being able to give a level from a single piece of work, I would say easily 1b, with elements of 1a.

It makes sense, uses features of story writing (starts with 'one day', finishes with 'they all lived happily ever after') and has a very simple story structure of beginning, one event and a simple ending.

Agree with MrsKCastle it has a clear sentence structure, although not all are punctuated correctly (there's one full stop missing and she doesn't use any capital letters). She also uses a compound sentences with 'and' as a connective.

Obviously there are things that need work, she's only little, but I think it's a good, solid piece of writing for this stage in year 1 and I wouldn't be worrying about this at all.

ABofDoncaster Thu 13-Feb-14 19:33:02

It's a lovely story. It's a 1c or a 1b. Personally I'd say a 1c but difficult to judge without seeing her handwriting and more evidence of writing.

Journeytolight Thu 13-Feb-14 19:36:59

1b, coming from an ex-teacher but as ABofDoncaster mentioned, difficult to say without handwriting etc.

Journeytolight Sat 15-Feb-14 08:21:39

Very cute little story though. Bless her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now