Advanced search

Finding an educational psychologist

(8 Posts)
Swinney09 Wed 12-Feb-14 10:44:54

Looking for a private educational psychologist in Surrey to complete an assessment for my daughter. Recommendations would be really appreciated! Thanks

NewBlueCoat Wed 12-Feb-14 10:47:40

what is the assessment for, ie what purpose?

who you use could depend on what you need and why.

Swinney09 Wed 12-Feb-14 10:56:27

That's helpful to know thank you. My child needs to apply for a statement for educational needs and the assessment will be to create a picture of exact learning requirements. She does not have a medical diagnosis and has had all the tests under the sun. She has low muscle tone and sensory processing difficulties, making concentration and learning a challenge for her.

NewBlueCoat Wed 12-Feb-14 11:03:53

do you have school support for applying for a statement? you don't need it, of course, but knowing where you stand is always useful.

even if school is supportive, you should apply for the statement, as it means you are in control of when documents are sent etc.

if you suspect that getting a statement might be tricky (and it often is), then you will need ot time your ed psych assessment quite carefully. often LAs will not accept private reports which are over 6 months out of date (hmm), and as these assessments can be expensive it is worth getting the timing right rather than having to pay out all over again.

I'm sorry I can't help with your specific enquiry (I do know of, and have used, a couple of ed psychs, but they were chosen for their knowledge and expertise in autism) but I am sure someone will be along soon who can help.

youhavetogothroughit Wed 12-Feb-14 11:17:37

You can get a list of educational psychologists in your area by going to - you will need to filter by educational psychologists. I would however, strongly advise only using someone who has been recommended (easier said than done, I know). Does the LEA have a list of EPs who work with them and do private work too? Or do you know any friends with children with SEN who can recommend anyone?

Swinney09 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:56:23

Thank you. I have a few friends who are speaking to friends they know who have been through statementing and may be able to help. I will speak with a few of the parents at school who I know too. Will look on the BPS site too. Your advice is much appreciated

NewBlueCoat Wed 12-Feb-14 11:59:34

have a look at the IPSEA website for help with statementing, too.

good luck!

Swinney09 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:15:05

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: