Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dilema

(14 Posts)
woolly76 Tue 11-Feb-14 22:24:17

Hi all,
DD will be starting reception in sept 2014. The only real choice is our local school as all others hugely over subscribed and out of catchment. It has a pretty terrible ofsted and has always been rated satisfactory and now in need of improvement since Ofsted began. I personally dont like the school much, run down, no green space, religious (i am not). However parents there love it and say their kids are really happy, i think great, then read Ofsted again and just think 'no way!' Am i putting too mich emphasis on low achievement? We have been offered a place at a private school with reduced fees due to our low income bit still would be a stretch and a part of me feels very guilty for rejecting our local school and community over private, however i just cant feel right about a school that does not have high enough expectations, the head blames the challenging working class cohort, yet the same kind of cohort in a school less than a mile away achieves well and has a 'good' grade. Shall i send her to local school or take up (amazing) private school offer and ditch my social values?

MillyMollyMama Tue 11-Feb-14 23:03:09

You will get lots of contrasting ideas on this!

My advice would be to go private and accept the bursary. They are meant for parents like you, so take it! I very much disagree with your local Head's view in that he/she blames the children yet he/she runs the only local school which is below acceptable standard. As you say, other schools are similar but fare better.

It is no fun scrimping for school fees, but if you are not happy with your local school, and you are not, you will feel it is worth it. You do not have to support a local school if it does not warrant support. Your child can always go to local clubs if you want to stay friends with the other parents. Don't forget there are many parents who are happy if their children are happy at school. Being happy does not mean the children are learning.

GW297 Tue 11-Feb-14 23:20:19

I completely agree!

woolly76 Wed 12-Feb-14 10:35:28

Thankyou so much for your well considered and well weiten reply!

woolly76 Wed 12-Feb-14 10:36:38

Written sorry

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Wed 12-Feb-14 10:40:35

Depends if you think you can continue to afford the fees for the rest of her education.

Also if the cost to you outweighs the cost of extras the same money could buy to compliment their education (music lessons,holidays,sports,tutor if nec.)

Id love to send to our local private school but in our case the cost outweighs benefit for local friends and extras we can buy in.

We're lucky our infant school differentiates well so she is challenged despite cohort.

woolly76 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:54:40

In an ideal world i would send her to a good local state primary, however i do feel so let down by our local school, it is such a huge shame

ZeroSomeGameThingy Wed 12-Feb-14 11:57:00

Why on earth should you feel more obliged to show "loyalty" to the community than the evil head teacher who is busy putting people down and sliding out of his/her responsibilities?

You can never place "too much emphasis on low achievement."

Take the bursary (?) place. You are not ditching your social values. The oldest private schools were set up for exactly this reason - to educate the children of people who couldn't afford to keep them at home. You should be very proud that the school has such confidence in your DD.

Obviously you'll try your best to keep her there. It may be a struggle. In the meantime who knows what will happen with the local state schools. You can always reassess at any stage.

Good luck!

woolly76 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:23:10

I like the community which is a normal mix of working/middle class. What i don't like is the school blaming the cohort for their own failings. My brother taught in a much more deprived school and was outstanding. Shame.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Wed 12-Feb-14 12:47:32

Re "community" - can I direct you to the "Education superclass" thread from late last year? (If you haven't already been there...)

Read it, scare yourself and run to the better school - whichever it is.

woolly76 Wed 12-Feb-14 13:28:03

Will read now smile

staticdust Wed 12-Feb-14 13:58:50

Take the bursary, there is no reason at the moment to worry about future fees as long as your financial circumstances don't change drastically in the near future, your DD will qualify for bursary as she moves up the school and also bursary can often be topped up with scholarships so there is a possibility of you paying even less, as for your social values try to push your aside, this is your DD's education in question, take the place.

staticdust Wed 12-Feb-14 13:59:38

push your feelings, duh.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Thu 13-Feb-14 09:07:24

Still reading?

Has it helped?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now