Talk

Advanced search

Do teachers already know year 6 offers for secondary?

(39 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 16:08:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 16:36:08

Journeytolight Tue 11-Feb-14 16:56:16

Always wondered the same thing. I think they know which ones you pass but don't actually know what school you'll go to. A bit unfair if they know before us angry

spanieleyes Tue 11-Feb-14 17:00:04

We usually find out the day before, but don't say anything! We can then let anyone know who doesn't have a letter in the post or can't get onto the internet. We certainly don't know yet!

paulapantsdown Tue 11-Feb-14 17:02:14

My sil is a deputy head, and she says they know about 2 weeks before.

moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 17:06:06

moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 17:08:12

Journeytolight Tue 11-Feb-14 17:14:50

Hmm, so teachers do know.

Like molding, I would really not like them to tell DD before I tell her!

Journeytolight Tue 11-Feb-14 17:16:25

And they know our preferences!! Not happy with that!

ChippyMinton Tue 11-Feb-14 17:22:25

Is this true? My DC teachers have never given any hint that they know the outcome. I thought the forms themselves were confidential.

Journeytolight Tue 11-Feb-14 17:24:56

I hope a teacher can shed some light on it with a detailed explanation, I've heard many rumors.

RestingActress Tue 11-Feb-14 17:31:32

I believe that the primary know beforehand so that if there is any obvious error - eg no school allocated, they can try and resolve before the allocations day

Iwantacampervan Tue 11-Feb-14 18:15:41

The teachers may deliberately not know to avoid being asked by parents before the date - the office get a list prior to March 1st but may not share the information.

moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 18:30:27

Carltondance Tue 11-Feb-14 19:28:08

We don't know anything, in fact we only get the list of secondaries in May/June time.

mrz Tue 11-Feb-14 19:43:54

We find out when the parents do

mrz Tue 11-Feb-14 19:45:20

and we don't know what parents put on the admissions forms

SweepTheHalls Tue 11-Feb-14 19:45:31

Secondaries don't find out until parents know either, we just get a list of who has been successful.

TheFlumpFlan Tue 11-Feb-14 19:52:33

We only know our own intake (ie reception) early and get the list for secondarily from the borough the day before parents. This is not the case though for Sen, private or selective schools for which we know early but at no set point.

BehindLockNumberNine Tue 11-Feb-14 19:56:33

As far as I am aware our school receives a list of who has been allocated which school on the day the parents received their allocation letters. It may be up to one day before. But I don't think it is any longer. I may however ask the secretary tomorrow...

I do know that our primary school office team can access a list showing which parents have applied for a secondary school place as it means they can chase up those parents who are getting too close to the application cut-off date for comfort.

(disclaimer, not a teacher, merely a TA)

bamboostalks Tue 11-Feb-14 19:59:52

Teachers know absolutely nothing. The only exception to this is for statemented pupils where parents name their preferred school or the borough/county does. Schools are informed of this choice.

Mojang Tue 11-Feb-14 20:03:08

No. I work in my dc's old primary. I'm sure if anyone knew they would have told me!

Sleepyhead33 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:05:17

Y6 teacher-we know the day before but would never say a word.

I have never seen an admissions form, we just get a printed list of names and allocated school. We have this so we can arrange for transition with the secondary school.

We definitely don't find out 2 weeks before-it must depend on the area of the country.

Homebirthquestion Tue 11-Feb-14 21:10:56

Our HT wouldn't even tell the teachers which children had been offered our Reception places because it wouldn't be fair we knew before the parents!

I didn't realise secondary lists come to primary schools before they to to parents.

admission Tue 11-Feb-14 21:18:08

Schools who are their own admission authorities will have known for a couple of months the names of pupils who have applied for a place at the school as a committee of the Governing body has to ensure that the list of pupils is put in the correct order according to priority of the admission arrangements of the school. Having out it into criteria order they then return the list to the Local Authority who do all the number crunching and come up with who can be offered what place.
What the school does not know is the preference level that the pupil has put on the school. So a school may have 30 places but 90 pupils applying for the school. It will put the 90 in order and could assume that the first 30 will get the places. But if the first 30 have actually put the school down as 3rd priority then they could easily get places at their 1st or 2nd preference school.
So there is no definitive list of who has places until the LA send them out to schools and parents and yes the school usually gets it a couple of days before the parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now