Talk

Advanced search

Bug Club

(11 Posts)
manchestermummy Tue 11-Feb-14 15:27:32

DD1's school has just enabled access to Bug Club, which so far DD is loving. Three books were waiting for her, and she read and enjoyed two of them. However, the third one is a Ben 10 book. She has no interest in Ben 10 whatsoever: she's never watched it (or has ever expressed an interest to); all merchandising has completely passed her by. I know they have to be able to read a wide range of material blah blah blah but seriously, I am not going to be able to get her to read this. I am pretty sure her reading will not suffer if she elects not to read Ben 10 but I don't want have to force her to read it so that she can have something that might engage her.

Do I bother telling the teacher? I am not at all keen on them being expected to read something which such a strong media tie-in (and indeed, didn't originate from a book).

simpson Tue 11-Feb-14 15:40:32

From what I can remember once you have read one book then another one appears so you will always have a choice to choose from.

I wouldn't bother telling the teacher as I don't think they select the actual books just the level.

manchestermummy Tue 11-Feb-14 15:46:15

She's read two already and nothing new has appeared, which led me to think there might be some setting somewhere that stops new ones appearing until they've all been read.

simpson Tue 11-Feb-14 15:53:11

It's been a while since DD used it but she answered comprehension questions on each book and once finished if it was not saved properly then it just stayed there not giving us another book choice.

Did you get the points for reading each book?

manchestermummy Tue 11-Feb-14 16:34:44

Yes - there are bug images throughout the book that lead to questions, all of which we have done. And she does seem to have a points total.

OwlCapone Tue 11-Feb-14 16:37:46

If all the merchandising etc has passed her by then it is just a story about a boy with the ability to turn into aliens.

mrz Tue 11-Feb-14 18:36:49

The teacher/administrator has to allocate the books and it's up to them how many books are available at anyone time. The programme lets the teacher know if there are less than 2 books available but this relies on the teacher logging in to check

Neverhere Tue 11-Feb-14 19:45:44

There are settings so the teacher can allocate a certain number a week. If I were you I'd ask her to try a few pages and if she doesn't like it just send a little note explaining and asking for more books as she had enjoyed it so much.bif you do it in a positive way I'm sure it'll be fine.

Otherwise If you log on and complete the questions then the book will go.

manchestermummy Tue 11-Feb-14 22:29:01

She read the first page and said I am NOT reading that. She honestly would enjoy more of Biff and co!

I will ask the teacher for advice. She's currently reading My Naughty Little Sister. I am not overly concerned!

simpson Tue 11-Feb-14 23:19:15

DD hated bug club as she much preferred real books (by that I mean the paper version).

She also had an aversion to reading scheme books too which did not help, quite frankly as long as they are reading and enjoying it, I would not worry too much.

Can you cheat and just get her through to the next book?

UniS Wed 12-Feb-14 21:41:16

if its the e-book, just click through it.
write note to teacher saying something like " DD started ben 10, read it well but but was not engaged by the story and decided she didn't want to finish it."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now