Talk

Advanced search

Y3 level question

(10 Posts)
jamtoast12 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:00:30

Hi

Its parents evening next week and just wandering...dd finished year 2 with 2a for everything, so what should she be getting my the end of year 3? I've read its 2 sub levels so I'm guessing 3b? If she isn't at this level, does this mean something is wrong?!

Thanks!

jamtoast12 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:01:28

Obviously likely to be not quite there yet as only feb but thinking ahead

neolara Tue 11-Feb-14 14:05:10

In Key Stage 2 most schools will be aiming for kids to make one full level in two years. So if she was 2A at the end of Year 2, the aim would be for her to be at 3A by the end of Year 4 and 4A by the end of Year 6.

In one year a child would typically make one sub-level of progress and in the other year they will probably make two sub-levels of progress. (Your dd may of course make more or less progress than what the school is aiming for.)

jamtoast12 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:11:46

Thanks, so she may only be expected to be a 3c maybe?

I'm just wandering what the minimum should be as the school only gave 3 children out of 30 level 3 in year 2 yet almost 48% get level 5 in eng and maths at year 6 so I'm guessing they speed up in year 2!

jamtoast12 Tue 25-Feb-14 14:45:50

Bump...anyone know what she should be now at this point in year 3? Thanks,

ShoeWhore Tue 25-Feb-14 14:50:01

What neolara said - by the end of this year she should be 3c or 3b.

Do you know how many of the 48% getting level 5 got level 3 when they were in Yr2? You do get variations in the abilities of a particular cohort. 48% level 5s is quite high, 10% level 3s is pretty low.

jamtoast12 Tue 25-Feb-14 15:04:41

Thanks! No I don't know sorry, am only going off national figures for the school. Year on! The schools gets similar level 5 results with several level 6s in Ks 2.

Having spoken to her teacher in Year 2 I think they set the bar for a level3 in year 2 very high as they seem to think its likely a 2a in year 2 will get a level 5 at ks2. According to national guidelines, it should be a 4a at KS2 so I think there may be some under assessing going on in KS1! Only reading between the lines though!

caffeinated Tue 25-Feb-14 16:30:04

It's so hard to predict as kids don't progress in a nice tidy line. Dd1 finished year 2 level 3c in all finished year 3 3a writing, 3a reading 3c writing, so no change for writing. Dd2 finished year 2 on level 3c for everything and finished year 3 on 4c reading and maths and 3a writing.

ShoeWhore Tue 25-Feb-14 17:08:45

caffeinated is right about children not progressing in a tidy linear fashion. Ds1 made all of his 3 sublevels progress for Yrs3&4 in Year 4 as far as I can tell. He also shot up 2 whole levels in reading over the same 2 year period.

I went to a briefing recently and schools are advised only to give a Level 3 if the child is very secure at that level ie has attained a 3b. Also 2a to L5 is considered "better than expected progress" whereas L3 to L5 is just "expected progress" - so I think your reading between the lines is quite possibly very accurate grin I know the HT of our local junior school is always complaining about the primaries doing this.

ChocolateWombat Tue 25-Feb-14 18:53:58

It seems schools which are just infants tend to give more L3s. They look good and don't have the negative comeback if less progress is made in the next KS. Through primaries seem to give more L2s as they can then show big progress at KS2.
The ones I feel a bit sorry for are the Juniors only schools, who can't get the benefit of either! Round here though, there are several Juniors who still make fantastic progress despite feeling KS1 results are inflated by feeder Infants. Suggests to me that they really are doing something right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now