Talk

Advanced search

educational websites

(9 Posts)
misstiredbuthappy Mon 10-Feb-14 18:33:10

Hi does anyone know of any websites that are good for children to help with there maths, reading ect ? Reception age.

PastSellByDate Tue 11-Feb-14 14:49:18

Hi misstiredbuthappy:

First thing to come to mind is OXFORD OWL: www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home

There are maths & reading sites - with tips about what you can do at home to help, ideas, games, e-books, etc...

Great place to start off - just caught it with DD2 - but it seems to be improving and improving. It's through Oxford University Press.

-------------

CBEEBIES alphablocks is fantstics - you can see all the old programs and the songs are worryingly catchy (I've caught myself humming them at work). - www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/alphablocks/ - very good for building those phonics skills without even realising it.

CBEEBIES NUMBER JACKS is also good for Year R: www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/numberjacks/

-----------------------

A school in Poole has some very useful resources for Year R here: www.lilliput.poole.sch.uk/Curriculum/Year+R+Resources

--------------

Useful things to be doing at home:

Measuring (have your DC help with cooking and have them measure oil/ water/ weigh flour/lentils etc...)

Counting: Well snakes and ladders is fantastic. Great counting on skills there - when good to 6 (one die) add a second die to get good to 12. When you're great at adding on (don't need to count - but can just do it) - play it backwards to work on subtraction (start one die and then add second die).

Shape: Look around the house for circles, squares, triangles, etc... Use a chocolate box - say quality street - to discuss shapes.

Try to learn names for 3D shapes like sphere (balls/ oranges/ the sun/ planets), pyramid (Giza pyramids, tea bags, toys), cubes (foot rest/ boxes), cuboids (sofa/ cereal box).

Remember that reading to your child is also important - they learn the rhythm and sound of words. Let them see you read - use your finger so they can follow what you're reading on the page. Don't worry if they can't read much yet - it will come. Just keep reading away.

HTH

noramum Tue 11-Feb-14 15:18:12

For maths our school uses:

www.topmarks.co.uk/

and

ictgames.co.uk/

For reading: I think nothing can beat a real book and reading to a person. A friend's DD loved Alphablocks, I am sure CBeebies have something on their website.

But we found just introducing reading into day-to-day life is the best. Signs, food names when shopping, playing games (same for numbers), writing letters, invitations, thank you cards, shopping lists, play "we are in the restaurant and your child is the waiter" game. DD played it endless with her dolls and teddies when DH and I gave up.

misstiredbuthappy Tue 11-Feb-14 19:06:11

Thank you. My dd just had a tablet for her birthday. Shes doing well at school loves homework so thought she would enjoy some learning games online. Thanks again.

noramum Tue 11-Feb-14 19:12:39

The two links I gave you do not work on a tablet. I found that apps are nice but proper websites are better. DD's school has weekly ICT lessons plus they use the suite for other subjects as well and she has a great mouse control.

For apps, try First Grade learning app. Only three things are free but it is worth to buy the extra ones, just £2 or so. DD used it a lot in Reception and Year 1.

BlueChampagne Wed 12-Feb-14 16:10:53

Apps: pocket phonics & math bingo

lunar1 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:28:55

Reading eggs is really good and the website now works on the iPad.

laurz75 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:52:36

Mr Thorne does Phonics is brilliant. Try CrickWeb too and Primary Games arena. Also try Phonics Play. I teach Reception and use these websites a lot!smile smile

millsdev Thu 13-Feb-14 14:44:06

My 5 year old started spellings last term. I had trouble getting him to do them. I tried to find an app that would allow me to put in the school spellings and play a game. I couldn't find one, so I wrote one. It is called 'Spelling Hangman' and is available on the App Store (SM). He uses it every day and it has really helped his spellings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now