Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Try not to laugh at my daft question

(5 Posts)
Ellisisland Mon 10-Feb-14 15:53:43

But .... If my DS turns 2 on 17 Feb 2014 when do I have to apply for a primary school place? I was happily plodding along thinking I had ages but a friend has just scared the shit out of me by saying I would need to be applying this time next year ?! So just after he turns 3 ?! Sounds really early to me I was thinking I wouldn't need to apply until he was 4 so he turns 4 in feb 2016 then I would be applying then? Can anyone shed some light as I am now very confused blush

manchestermummy Mon 10-Feb-14 15:58:45

He'd be starting Reception in September 2016, so you would be applying between August-ish 2015 and January 2016. You don't apply when they turn four, you apply at a point in the academic year in which they are four.

Not a daft question if you've never done it before!

manchestermummy Mon 10-Feb-14 16:00:10

Oh and to add, your LEA will be helpful - I spoke to them when my DD1 was around that age as my mother was driving me mad saying I'd 'missed the boat' to apply for school for my then two-year-old.

Your friend might be thinking of applying for school nursery.

JimmyCorkhill Mon 10-Feb-14 16:02:24

You will apply by the 15th Jan 2016 when your son is nearly 4. He is due to start school September 2016.

You will get see posters at pre school/nursery prior to this and can look at your local council website.

It all seems scary at this time but it is all made clear to you when you actually need to do it.

Children start school the September after they turn 4 (although legally don't have to be in school till they're 5 if you prefer).

Next year is too early for your son unless he's going to a prep school?

Ellisisland Mon 10-Feb-14 17:00:37

Thank you! I knew I would get straight answer on here.
He won't be going to a prep school and already attends a nursery that I am happy with him staying at until he starts school

God it comes round quick doesn't it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now