Talk

Advanced search

Can I buy the primary maths syllabus?

(10 Posts)
secretlemondedrinker Sun 09-Feb-14 11:59:23

I have a ds who is in Y3, he loves maths and flys with it at home, even answering some of his sisters GCSE homework, however he is about average at school, he struggles with the 'round the house's' way school work, number lines and grids ect and will often write the answer first and then do the working out after or even just lose track/interest completely.He also struggles with word problems and things which are not set out in a black and white way.
Is there anywhere I can buy the school syllabus/ciriculum to go over with him at home? so I can try and get him more used to the school methods, the teachers have shown him but he is quite a tricky customer who needs things putting to him in a certain way, if things are not phrased correctly for him he has difficulty understanding.
Thanks

TheGruffalo2 Sun 09-Feb-14 12:51:38

No need to buy:

webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110202093118/http:/nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/primary/primaryframework/mathematicsframework
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/210969/NC_framework_document_-_FINAL.pdf

mrz Sun 09-Feb-14 13:01:24

The curriculum only provides the What not the How so you would need to ask your child's school/teacher.

PumpkinPie2013 Sun 09-Feb-14 17:26:32

You can download it online. Check with your child's teacher whether they are still working to the 'old' curriculum or have started the new one - some schools have.

Agree with mrz talk to the teacher - he/she may be able to explain to your son in a different way or suggest fun things you can do at home to practise.

You mention he has trouble with word problems and the way things are phrased? Does he have difficulty in other subjects with this?

TheGruffalo2 Sun 09-Feb-14 17:27:47

It is worth checking your school's calculation policy.

spanieleyes Sun 09-Feb-14 18:13:07

most schools in my area are currently updating their calculations policy to reflect the new curriculum, I've spent most of the weekend doing ours and it's still not finished!

Retropear Sun 09-Feb-14 18:34:28

Anybody got any links re the new maths curriculum and a calculation policy which reflect the new maths curriculum?

Tia

mrz Sun 09-Feb-14 18:38:06

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/239129/PRIMARY_national_curriculum_-_Mathematics.pdf

Retropear Sun 09-Feb-14 18:52:59

Thanks for that.

After a brief look it seems the column method should be covered in year 3, what is happening re the chunking in year 4?My dd is a bit like the op 's DS except she can do word problems really well.She can chunk but gets in a muddle re recording number lines to show her workings.

She knows all her tables and division facts,can do multiplication and division word problems in her head really quickly now,she can chunk but makes mistakes re recording the blardy number lines which they seem to like in school-big time.Seems back to front,aren't they supposed to help you to work out the question?confused

I'm guessing we've got to battle on,or maybe not<hopeful>. I haven't dared show her the old fashioned way,we had a whole evening last term telling us how great chunking is in comparison.

At this rate it'll take her half an hour to record workings for 2 problems in her Y6 Sats.

spanieleyes Sun 09-Feb-14 18:54:50

The expectation is short or long division by year 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now