Talk

Advanced search

I need your advice! To tell or not to tell?

(12 Posts)
Pinkbatrobi Sun 09-Feb-14 02:43:06

Ok, so my DS yr6 teacher sets some homework one week and recommends they do some revision by "looking at the following sights (sic) on the internet..." I pointed out to my son the correct spelling would actually be "sites" but let it pass as an oversight. Next homework IN THE CONTEXT OF PREPARING FOR SPAG she wrote: "if the children have any doubts when revising they can talk to Mrs XWZ or I". Oh dear. So I explained to DS that actually the subject of that sentence being "the children" Mrs XWZ (the TA) and the teacher are the object and therefore "me" should be used, not "I". But I am in two minds as to whether I should point the "oversights" to her, and maybe gently suggest she should re-read her assignments carefully (just as she advises the kids to always re-read their work) before handing them out to avoid further embarrassment with the parents AND potential confusion with the children - and if so, should I ask to talk to her? Should I write her a note? Should I passively aggressively correct the mistakes on the assignment sheets and send them back to school in his folder? - Or should I just mind my own business and keep quiet...? ... What would you do? Help!

CouthyMow Sun 09-Feb-14 02:59:04

If it was. Reception /Y1, I'd say ignore it. The only person likely to pick up on it at that age would be someone like my DS1, who was born with a cardigan and slippers, having swallowed a dictionary, an Maths textbook and a book about spellings and grammar whilst he was gestating...

(He picked up his Y1 teacher for a spelling mistake on the sheet of spelling she sent home for the children to learn. Seaside spelt 'seeside'!)

However, by Y6, I WOULD bring this up. It is important for a teacher who is meant to be teaching good spelling and grammar to be able to use it themselves.

EugenesAxe Sun 09-Feb-14 03:10:10

I'd do it face to face and maybe say something like 'I was going to leave it but if it was me I'd want to know' and then explain you've had to correct a couple of instructions. I wouldn't give her advice on how to deal with it in future, I'd just let her know so she can take steps if it's something she's embarrassed about.

KingscoteStaff Sun 09-Feb-14 08:17:45

I'm a Year 6 teacher, and yes, you need to say.

The new SPAG work means that all teachers are having to polish their subject knowledge, and rightly so.

MrsKCastle Sun 09-Feb-14 12:51:05

Yes, talk to her directly.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Sun 09-Feb-14 12:54:34

Another year 6 teacher here and I would definitely speak up. It takes 2 minutes to re-read something that's going home to parents. Or get a colleague to check it through for you. How can you possibly teach it effectively if you don't apply it yourself?

mummy1973 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:18:06

I wouldn't. My dd brings home a sheet each week from her Yr 5 teacher. She points out the mistakes and we work out how to correct them. I then tell her how busy her teacher is, to be understanding and we all make mistakes.

juniper44 Sun 09-Feb-14 22:13:02

I know a year 6 teacher who doesn't know the difference between its and it's. Hmm.

Pinkbatrobi Sun 09-Feb-14 23:22:10

Thanks to all! I think I will talk to her, face to face, and follow Eugene's advice...because, precisely, if it was me I would want to know.

MrsKCastle Sun 09-Feb-14 23:36:42

Mummy1973 you're right- we do all make mistakes. But pointing them out shouldn't be seen as criticism or not being understanding. I often make errors, my class point them out, I correct them and then we move on. It means that when I point out errors in their work, they accept it as a matter of course.

PurpleAlert Sun 09-Feb-14 23:43:06

I was horrified at a recent SPAG inset course at the number of teachers who did not to know the "me- I " rule. In fact the course leader seemed unsure too...

How the heck are the pupils supposed to understand the rule when the teachers don't ?

I would say something. It needs flagging up.

mummy1973 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:02:30

Mrsk...I am sure you are right. I just know there are a good handful who will point it out before we got there! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now