Talk

Advanced search

How often are parents evenings at junior school?

(13 Posts)
hoolahoolagirl Fri 07-Feb-14 09:56:07

Hi, just that really, my DS is in yr 3 of a lovely junior school. We had one parents evening at the end of October which was mainly to inform us of how the children were settling in to their new school and briefly discuss how they were doing (teacher couldn't really say much as the children had only been with her just over a month).

I was wondering how many parents evenings on average to expect for a junior school child.

At his infant school we has lots - maybe 4/5 a year!!

Thanks smile

offblackeggshell Fri 07-Feb-14 09:58:03

DD is in Y5. We had one in October, a "settling in" one. We have another next week, and I think one more, just at the end of the year. We do have a termly "learning look" too though, where we are invited in to look at the DCs work in class, and can speak to the teacher (though not privately).

Seeline Fri 07-Feb-14 09:58:38

We have one after Oct half-term, one after Feb half-term and a written report at the end of the academic year. Although obviously we can pop in anytime if there is a problem/issue/concern.

hoolahoolagirl Fri 07-Feb-14 10:06:55

Thanks for the quick responses! thanks

Ok, well it seems like we should have one due soon then hopefully. I know I can make an appointment to speak to the teacher at the end of school if I have any concerns (which I don't thankfully) but I would just like to hear how he's getting on academically smile

I guess I'm still adjusting to junior school and not having as much contact with the teacher compared to infant school where we were freely able to speak to the teacher at the beginning/end of the day.

OldBeanbagz Fri 07-Feb-14 10:12:31

Two at my Y4 DS's school - one in October and one in May. We can pop in and speak to the teacher before school (if required).

Just wait until they're at high school and you get virtually zero contact with their teacher. I don't even have the email address for DD's form teacher.

DeWe Fri 07-Feb-14 10:17:10

4/5 a year shock
Never come across so many. Think we'd be running out of things to say. If we needed to meet that often then there'd be a problem and we'd make time for it.

For both infant and juniors we have one round about half term in both October and February. Then you can request one in the summer after you've seen the report if you want to query anything.

redskyatnight Fri 07-Feb-14 13:15:31

We have one in each of the first 2 terms and an optional evening at the end of the year (after reports go out). Never known a school to have as many as 4/5.

MirandaWest Fri 07-Feb-14 13:33:42

My DC are at a primary school so parents evenings are the same for infants and juniors. There's one in October had one at the beginning of March. Reports happen around the end of June and you can go and see the teacher after that if you want. 4 or 5 a year does sound quite a few.

hoolahoolagirl Fri 07-Feb-14 14:30:12

I guess we were very spoilt then with so many parents evenings at his infant school!
As someone said above though, we did kind of run out of things to say so having so many was not really necessary!

RustyBear Fri 07-Feb-14 16:10:47

I work at a junior school and we have two main parents' evenings a year, one 'settling-in' one early in the first term and one near the end of the second term.

But we also have times after the issuing of both our interim (in December) and final (in July) reports when either the teacher or the parent can request a meeting if there are concerns.

Teachers are also around on the playground at the end of school, and before school on a rota, - and parents are welcome to arrange appointments through the office if they need to speak more formally to the class teacher, head of keystage, SENCO or head.

Supermum222 Fri 07-Feb-14 20:39:08

One every term at our school.

TheGruffalo2 Fri 07-Feb-14 20:42:48

We do three per term with booked appointments and fortnightly "open house" until 4.30pm which is for the child to show their work and the teachers there for informal chat. October is the settling in one. February - major ones. Summer post reports for any queries.

trinity0097 Fri 07-Feb-14 21:05:11

Our school does them every 2 terms, so you might have 2 in year 4, but then one in yr 5 and 2 in year 6 etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now