Advanced search

What is the 7 plus and how do I find out what schools do it...and why..

(4 Posts)
rainraingoAWAYNEVERCOMEBACK Thu 06-Feb-14 20:56:34

I never knew a 7 plus existed?!

I only understand that if you want DC to go to grammer school they need to do 11 plus.Simples.

So what is 11 plus for and how do I find out what schools near me do take pupils who passed it, what sort of schools would do this, is it only independent..

any help gratefully received..

SwimmingMom Thu 06-Feb-14 21:52:02

7+ is typically taken by children from 'pre-prep' (private) schools in order to enter year-3 in another school. Also taken by children from state/independent/prep schools who wish to change schools in year3 and go to a new school - which has its typical starting intake in y3 but in some cases may start in Reception & have additional intake in y3.

Usually the underlying intent is to get your DC into the correct junior school which is either directly linked or is informally a feeder into your desired secondary school.

If you are happy with where your DC are & wish to leave them there until end of primary, then you can live without the hassle of 7+! smile

SwimmingMom Thu 06-Feb-14 21:54:28

Oops, didnt answer the second part of your question!

What age are your DC? Do you have a targeted secondary(s) for them? Are they in the right school which will take them into this secondary (or maximise their chances)? If not then do you know which schools will?

Worriedthistimearound Thu 06-Feb-14 21:56:44

The 7+ is an assessment administered by independent schools for entry into their prep department. (7-13)

The children sitting it may have been at an independent pre-prep or done their infant years at a state primary or infant school.

The actual format and intensity with vary greatly between school ranging from just a general observation and note that the kids are doing well to full on academic tests with questions far in excess of what the NC expects of a 7yr old.

The 11+ can refer to a similar test administered by independent schools for entry into their senior department. Alternatively, it can refer to the test administered by state grammar schools for Y7 entry.

The 7+ is not to be confused with the Y2 sats taken at a similar time within a state school setting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: