Talk

Advanced search

At what age are children in your school required to write ON the line?

(10 Posts)
2kidsintow Thu 06-Feb-14 19:14:09

Came out in conversation with our headteacher in a now-amalgamated school, that the first time children are required to write on the line, as opposed to between the 2 lines is when they get to year 3.

I'm sure my children's school expects this earlier, but I can't be sure without digging out all of DD's stuff in the cupboard.

Just curious.

TheGruffalo2 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:23:43

Reception in my school. Yes we use the ground, grass, sky style paper for handwriting teaching, but all years have writing books that are just single lines and we do expect them to "sit their writing on the line". The sizing, especially of the body of the letter increases in control as they mature and gain motor function control, but APP level 2 states "clear letter formation, with ascenders and descenders distinguished". We assume this to be in general writing tasks, not just when they have all the scaffolding of multiple-line paper.

TheGruffalo2 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:25:09

Just re-reading my last post and I've been ambiguous - L2 APP is usually started in Year 1, so not implying our reception children are working at that level.

mrz Thu 06-Feb-14 19:30:04

From reception

MrsKCastle Thu 06-Feb-14 19:51:29

Reception.

Bunnyjo Thu 06-Feb-14 20:34:37

Reception for DD's school.

LindyHemming Thu 06-Feb-14 20:55:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBuskersDog Thu 06-Feb-14 21:53:24

That's what you are aiming for right from the beginning.

lougle Thu 06-Feb-14 22:05:41

DD3 is in reception. She started the year as a non-reader and a beginning but enthusiastic writer (she had taught herself some letters but formation was wonky).

By the Christmas holidays she was saying to me 'Sentences need a full-stop.' 'I need to use finger spaces, don't I?' 'Is that a question mark?' 'We need to write on the line.'

They expect, encourage and model everything right from the beginning.

Michaelahpurple Fri 07-Feb-14 10:25:46

In my house meant to write in the line and actually doing so are two very different things. Now in year 3 he still doesn't when being slack - am very bored with naggingsmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: