Talk

Advanced search

Letter Formation

(11 Posts)
Sillylass79 Thu 06-Feb-14 18:19:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PenguinBear Thu 06-Feb-14 18:21:05

Please check with the school you are hoping he'll attend what their policy is!! In my Reception class, we teach the children the 'pre cursive' script reading for joined up writing in year 1!

It's hard to re-teach what parents have taught their children so check first!

Sillylass79 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:01:03

phoolani Thu 06-Feb-14 19:05:07

Why don't you get him some of those wipe clean letter books. My kids loved those and then if he uses it, he's just teaching himself and teachers can't shout at you later?

Littlefish Thu 06-Feb-14 21:39:13

Yes, you should encourage the correct formation.

Fuzzymum1 Fri 07-Feb-14 21:13:15

Definitely teach him the proper formation - It is almost impossible to unteach letter formation and if they aren't writing individual letters the right way then it makes it much harder for them to learn joined up writing later.

TheGreatHunt Fri 07-Feb-14 21:15:20

Why the need for joined up writing? It seems antiquated!

blueblackdye Fri 07-Feb-14 21:20:54

DS is in Reception this year. He has started only letter formation this 2nd term. During the first term, he came home every week with cards of 2 or 3 letters he has worked on during the week, I have made him write these letters as shown on the card during Xmas break, to make sure he got them in the right order.

Littlefish Fri 07-Feb-14 21:32:57

Joined up writing is the most efficient.

Sillylass79 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:00:00

Littlefish Fri 07-Feb-14 22:49:38

Capital letter for the first letter of his name, lower case for the rest. What's important is the correct sequence of strokes to make up each letter, and making sure that he starts in the right place.

Unless you know that he is going to be doing full cursive handwriting when he starts school (with entry and exit strokes), then I would probably teach him letters with just the exit strokes (flicks).

Have a look at this font

In lower case....

c, o, a, d, g, q all start the same way
m, n, r, b, h all start the same way
l, t, u, y, i all start the same way

I know I have missed some, but am too tired to think at the moment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now