Talk

Advanced search

Year 4 progress for 11+??

(5 Posts)
rebby Thu 06-Feb-14 14:21:20

I'm moving near a grammar school this June and am tempted by the local grammar school as an alternative to option to independent (which my DC are at now). However, I don't want to put any stress on my DC if they don't have a chance of passing the 11+. So, my question is this; if Level 4B is the national expectation at Year 6 what level do you think they need to be at in Year 6 to have a good chance at the 11+? They are currently in Year 4 so I'm trying to get an overview of their progress before I go down this route. What is a good level to be at at the end of Year 4? 3B? 3A? 4C? I have no idea! Thanks in advance!

harrietfromharrow Thu 06-Feb-14 16:34:22

It depends on how the grammar near you selects. Is it/ a super-selective with no catchment and perhaps 2000 children trying for 150 places? Or does it take the top 20% or so as there are lots of grammars nearby and/ or there is a catchment area?

If the very selective variety then 4s at the end of year 4 - probably upper 4s. 3B is average so even for a less selective grammar school you might need to be looking at more than that.

BUT levels are only a broad indicator of 11+ pass possibilities either way as the 11+ tests might cover different things.

What has their existing school said about them?

Sleepyhead33 Fri 07-Feb-14 19:14:09

the children at our school who tend to pass are Working at 5b-6+ in class in maths and English by this point in the spring term. There are sometimes a few surprises though and the odd child who has been tutored intensively ( though this does not translate into school/curriculum work) passes.
At the end of y4 I would be expecting around a 4b in maths.

Sleepyhead33 Fri 07-Feb-14 19:15:10

Of course some do make a massive amount of progress in Y5- summer birthdays particularly-so may not be quite that high at the end of y4.

rollonthesummer Fri 07-Feb-14 19:17:56

My DC passed the 11+ last year and was a 4c at the end of y4 in maths/reading and a 3a in writing. Finished y6 with a l6 in maths and l5 in writing/reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now