Talk

Advanced search

TAs in classroom

(15 Posts)
Blackcathaireverywhere Thu 06-Feb-14 11:13:09

In your school, how often does your child's class have a TA in the classroom with the teacher (and what year are you referring to and how big is the school)? Are they in the classroom, or generally taking children out to do spellings, reading, times tables etc?

theborg Thu 06-Feb-14 11:19:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iheartcustardcreams Thu 06-Feb-14 11:20:09

It really depends on the school and budget. Where I work every class pretty much has a full time ta. Ds1 has a full time at but he is in reception. Y1 and y2 have a ta for mornings only.

Ifcatshadthumbs Thu 06-Feb-14 11:24:34

Depends I suppose. In our school reception and yr1 definitely have 1 full time TA. There are also other ta's who are there either full or part time to support children with statements but do also help others in the class.

Seems to me they work mostly in the classroom.

Adikia Thu 06-Feb-14 11:44:13

DD's in reception, very small school (120 in whole school, including nursery), 1 full time and 2 part time TAs, so there's always 1 in the classroom and 1 reading/doing group work etc.

DS in year 5, bigger school (315 children) 4 TA's split across the 3 year 5/6 classes, so usually have 1 in each class plus the HLTA working with small groups, split 3 mornings with struggling children and 2 mornings with G&T.

PastSellByDate Thu 06-Feb-14 11:52:04

Hi blackcat:

Last year I would have said 2 TAs Year R and Year 1, then 1 TA per class Y2 - Y6 (single form school YR - Y6). We do have an extra TA in one class to support a student with SEN.

but this year

DD1 reports in Y6 that she is primarily being taught with about 1/2 her class by Y2 teacher (who is part-time - 4 days a week) and TA is with other half of class and main teacher part of the time (especially with Y2 teacher not there) - but I've posted elsewhere they're going all out cramming for KS2 SATs at our school.

I am hearing from other parents with younger siblings and DD2 (Y4) - that TAs are not there all the time- but this may be because the school are now using them for more remedial work (a long standing bug a bear with many of us parents). So hard to know if there hours are reduced (certainly in classroom less) or if they're being deployed in other ways (accelerated reading schemes/ maths support/ etc...).

Elibean Thu 06-Feb-14 13:19:09

In dds' school, f/t TA in Reception, Y1 and Y2. Slightly less that f/t in higher classes up to Y6.

They spend time in classroom (especially in young years) but also take children out in small groups.

And I have to say, the TAs are on the whole the most wonderful asset to the school and make a huge difference. Valued by everyone from children to Head.

Elibean Thu 06-Feb-14 13:20:02

Oh - and there are LSA (learning support assistants) to assist individual kids in classes, too.

offblackeggshell Thu 06-Feb-14 13:26:19

DD Y5 has one in class full time. We are new to the school, so I don't know if this is normal at this school. I haven't asked the teacher about it, but DD insists that she helps the whole class, not just one child, or a small group. The school is making a huge effort to improve Y6 SATs though, and I did wonder if this was part of that.

PastSellByDate Thu 06-Feb-14 13:28:39

Can I just second Elibean:

Definitely have the impression that many TAs at our school are better (and clearer) teachers than actual teachers.

(just to clarify - the 'bug a bear' thing is that parents have been asking why TAs aren't being used to support struggling learners more for years - school seems to finally be using TAs for small-group work/ tutoring - but not sure to what extent)

theborg Thu 06-Feb-14 13:46:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Euphemia Thu 06-Feb-14 17:14:26

No TAs at all in the school I teach in. sad

Fuzzymum1 Thu 06-Feb-14 18:28:58

As DS3s school the Y5/6 class has one full time TA and one part time (just mornings) (big class of around 35 kids)

The Y3/4 class have one full time TA (25 kids)

The Y2 class has one full time TA (24 kids)

The YR/1 class has one full time TA and one additional TA 3 mornings a week. (24 kids)

All TAs are in the class almost exclusively. Very little time is spent outside the classroom.

MillyMollyMama Thu 06-Feb-14 18:46:11

At the school where I was a Governor, we had a high level of special needs children so the TA hours allocated to them was spent partly in and partly out of the classroom. Other TAs would be assisting children in the classroom, whatever their ability, listening to them read, giving further help if needed when children were working as a group, and being responsible if the teacher was absent. The TAs were included in INSET and were a very important part of the school. Some classes had a full time TA, others did not. It depended on the needs of the children.

Iamnotminterested Thu 06-Feb-14 20:09:10

Loads, but lots of SEN.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now