Talk

Advanced search

Could you please recommend a nice, sturdy, cartridge fountain pen for a heavy-handed 9 yr old.

(12 Posts)
SuburbanSpaceperson Wed 05-Feb-14 16:24:54

DS has his pen licence so we have moved into the world of blots on pages and ink stains on white polo shirts. TBH I bought a cheap fountain pen because I thought he wouldn't get a pen licence this year (fine motor skills issues) and now that he's using it it's not really good enough. He needs one that's easy to grip (possibly a slightly larger grip with soft-grip finger placements), has a smooth writing action, doesn't blob ink with a flicky hand movement (he sometimes does unintentionally jerky gestures) and is easy to change the cartridge. I'd also quite like to buy it online if possible.

Thanks.

SuburbanSpaceperson Wed 05-Feb-14 18:40:51

Bumping for the evening crowd

Oakmaiden Wed 05-Feb-14 18:51:04

My children have these

TweenageAngst Wed 05-Feb-14 18:56:16

Lamy pens-get them from Amazon

ThreeBeeOneGee Wed 05-Feb-14 19:32:41

Lamy Safari

SuburbanSpaceperson Wed 05-Feb-14 19:37:13

Those Lamy pens look lovely. Would the wooden one be a little babyish for a 9yo?

ThreeBeeOneGee Wed 05-Feb-14 19:42:26

DS1 and DS2 have both been using the Lamy Safari pens since they were 11. They are easy to write with and seem to survive the hell that is a Y7 boy's pencil case.

Oakmaiden Wed 05-Feb-14 21:09:04

My very nearly 9 year old has one. They are more robust and easier to hold than the others. My 10 year old has just moved on to a Lamy Safari (which is what I use too, actually). Though I have a posh one as well.

paddythepooch Thu 06-Feb-14 07:00:18

Lamy. Plus get one of those double ended ink eraser pens. Genius

StarWarsStanley Thu 06-Feb-14 07:36:42

Another LAMY vote here.

starfishmummy Thu 06-Feb-14 07:37:44

Lamy - I like the vista which is the same style as the Safari but see through so I can see my beautiful color inks!!

I get mine from Cult Pens who are very fast. If you go for a Lamy I would also suggest that you buy lots of cartridges at the same time as WHS charge several times more for them!

SuburbanSpaceperson Thu 06-Feb-14 20:25:17

Thanks everyone. I showed DS the different Lamy pens and he chose a blue Safari. So just waiting for delivery now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now