loader

Talk

Advanced search

Phonics in reception and beyond

(9 Posts)
Winterwardrobetime Wed 05-Feb-14 13:28:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 05-Feb-14 13:39:21

I thought they were supposed to cover all of them in reception other than tion, tious, cious.

I might well have got that wrong though.

Galena Wed 05-Feb-14 14:07:02

DD knows lots of her sounds both to read and write. For phonics, she has been put with the other children learning to use phase 5 phonics for spelling in her school - some y1, y2 and y3.

Winterwardrobetime Wed 05-Feb-14 14:25:19

thegamesafoot Wed 05-Feb-14 14:33:21

You will find the phases referred to here:

www.letters-and-sounds.com/

There are some very good letters and sounds work books on Amazon too.

thegamesafoot Wed 05-Feb-14 14:42:47

In summary 1st sounds taught In phase 2, more are tauht in phase 3, phase 4 consolidates (some teach at same time as phase 3). This is aim for reception. Then year 1 is phase 5 & year 2 phase 6.

Some schools group children according to their knowledge (so different year groups in same phonic group). Some will only teach by year group & if they only follow Jolly Phonics, don't complete all the phases.

Also phase 6 focus is spellings.

I think I've got that right!

Winterwardrobetime Wed 05-Feb-14 14:53:59

ABofDoncaster Wed 05-Feb-14 15:41:08

I agree with thegamesafoot, by the start of Year 1 children should be working on Phase 5 in an ideal world, so Phases 2-4 should be covered in Reception. It does vary slightly on the phonics scheme though, for instance if the school uses Read Write Inc they should be moved up when they are ready.

mrz Wed 05-Feb-14 21:06:15

It depends what programme your child's school follow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now