Talk

Advanced search

Writing tutor/teacher in London for yr 2 student?

(6 Posts)
oilandwater Wed 05-Feb-14 01:38:58

I've been told by my year 2 son's school that he needs to improve his writing and I agree with them, he does. But I have given up on waiting for them to help him, or help me help him, so I am now looking for outside support such as a writing teacher or tutor. Any recommendations? Thank you!

diva100 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:34:16

Where are you based?

youhavetogothroughit Wed 05-Feb-14 09:25:49

We have not used one (yet) but I got a list from the national handwriting association. nha-handwriting.org.uk.

If there are potentially underlying issues though, you may be best served by seeing an Occupational Therapist first. The reason being, that good handwriting is not just about fine motor skills and and if there are problems with motor planning (say) or balance then these will have to be sorted first. You could spend a lot of time on trying to develop beautiful copper plate handwriting when other issues need to be addressed to achieve that.

Best of luck - we are just starting to climb the mountain!

oilandwater Wed 05-Feb-14 11:53:12

Thank you both. We are in Central/West London.

My son's handwriting is actually ok, not great, but steadily improving. He has trouble with a few letters but does well with most. I'm actually looking more for someone to help him with the more substantive aspects of writing -- sentence structure, getting ideas down, spelling etc.

I will, though, check out the handwriting association to see if there's any information there that would help me...

Still would love to hear from others!

youhavetogothroughit Wed 05-Feb-14 13:46:59

In that case a normal literacy teacher should be fine I would have thought.

diva100 Thu 06-Feb-14 10:11:05

Pm'd you oil and water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now