Talk

Advanced search

11+

(6 Posts)
Feeeeee Tue 04-Feb-14 20:57:36

hi
how can you tell if year 3 child could pass 11+? dont want to tutor child if she doesnt have a chance.

Crowler Wed 05-Feb-14 09:00:04

You could start her on 7+ or 8+ tests and see how she does.

Adikia Wed 05-Feb-14 10:30:33

Try asking your child's teacher what they think, the year 3 teacher at DS's school can usually tell who has a chance.

MrsCakesPremonition Wed 05-Feb-14 10:32:45

Definitely talk to her teacher. Also, you probably won't be thinking of tutoring until the start of y5 so you don't need to rush into anything.

rollonthesummer Wed 05-Feb-14 10:38:26

What levels is she working at? Did she get all L3 at the end of KS1?

It's generally easier to get an idea as they get half way into Y4, with the intention of familiarising them with some papers in Y5 (I say this as a teacher whose children are at grammar).

cingolimama Wed 05-Feb-14 10:38:56

OP I wouldn't rely on a teacher - unfortunately they don't always know what a child is capable of. No, I'm not teacher bashing, just being realistic about one teacher spread amongst 30 children, all with various needs, talents, support at home etc.

You don't have to make any kind of decision in Y3. The important thing right now (and this applies whether or not you're going to do 11+) is to ensure that your DC gets the basics. Are they numerate (do they know their number bonds and times tables)?, do they read well and for pleasure? How's their spelling?

Also remember that children don't learn in a linear fashion. They leap and bound. Encourage your child to do their best, and support at home with the basics. Assess again next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now