Talk

Advanced search

bursary at prep schools/ private schools 7+ - what is the threshold?

(6 Posts)
goodbook200 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:47:55

Thinking about 7+ exam for my DS - we are both working and hava salaries but woudl not afford the fees. what is the threshold for the income for trying for bursaries please?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Feb-14 19:18:18

It varies from school to school so you would need to enquire with individual schools.

homebythesea Wed 05-Feb-14 12:45:31

As ^ but if your income is over £20K+ and/or you have other realisable assets then you will in general be struggling. And also I would say that having to rely on a bursary at such a young age will probably lead you to years and years of uncertainty and stress - why do you need to go to a fee paying school? I'm afraid the reality is that there is a huge chunk of middle income families for whom it is an unrealistic option

LIZS Wed 05-Feb-14 12:48:09

It depends sorry you need to ask the relevant bursar/s . Some prep schools offer very little , others more , some set the income bar higher than others and have a sliding scale.

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Wed 05-Feb-14 12:48:09

We have two bursaries and our income is over 20k
There are so many factors taken into consideration. Also the amount awarded varies depending on those factors too.
I don't think many schools actually have a set threshold. You just apply and try.

sanam2010 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:52:35

I would also hope that the threshold in London is higher than that! I don't think anyone with a £40k salary in London can afford private either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now