Talk

Advanced search

The lunchbox police are at it again! *rage*

(94 Posts)
TitsalinaBumSquash Mon 03-Feb-14 17:54:35

My children have come home declaring that cheese is unhealthy and doesn't have a place in a healthy lunchbox, what the actual fuck?! why are a schools getting away with this bolleux!

angryangryangryangryangry

notjustamummythankyou Mon 03-Feb-14 17:58:17

That's me buggered, then. My ds only eats cheese sarnies! Ridiculous.

Margetts Mon 03-Feb-14 17:59:47

What does the school suggest you in sandwiches??
What a load of rubbish, it's full of calcium, protein and fat all of which growing children require.
I would ask the school what they recommend for a packed lunch?

notjustamummythankyou Mon 03-Feb-14 18:02:26

Bet they're still serving cheesy baked potatoes for school dinners. Followed by a hot pudding with custard. One rule fits all. not

Showy Mon 03-Feb-14 18:06:39

I am all poised to have a word with dd's school. They are pretty sensible usually but have just blindly sent home a healthy eating leaflet which recommends choosing low fat options and choosing diet drinks instead of full fat. DD is 6. She doesn't drink fizzy drinks and I will NOT be giving her low fat stuff.

Where has this cheese message come from? Is it an actual rule or something they've 'heard' or 'misheard'?

pussycatdoll Mon 03-Feb-14 18:07:43

Was it dairylea Dunkers or cheese strings??

capsium Mon 03-Feb-14 18:09:19

?????

Why? Dairy products contain Calcium, protein and healthy fats. All important for growing children.

You're left with sandwich meats, hummus egg and fish with salad or without, as typical fillings.

Do the school caterers provide packed lunches either all the time or for school trips? What options for sandwiches do they have?

I would write a letter to the Governors questioning this policy.

Sammie101 Mon 03-Feb-14 18:10:55

Did you hear about the boy who was suspended for four days for having mini cheddars in his lunch box?

It's ridiculous, schools should encourage healthy eating but some children can be very fussy, I'm sure parents would rather them eat something whether healthy or not as long as they're at least eating something confused

gamerchick Mon 03-Feb-14 18:11:18

what are they on about.. cheese is decent for kids who need full fat hmm rather that than additives and shite.

Are you going to have a word?

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 03-Feb-14 18:12:07

I doubt it's lunchbox police but Chinese whispers of healthy eating lessons.

DS1 has come home saying that fat is bad for us and such-and-such is unhealthy because it has sugar in.

I made the hmm face and we've started talking about which foods are "nutritious" and which are "just energy" which is more age-appropriate IMHO.

capsium Mon 03-Feb-14 18:12:33

^ not that you should go with a school packed lunch but it would be interesting to see what they provide.

capsium Mon 03-Feb-14 18:14:46

The only food I will discuss as being less healthy is sweets, cakes, crisps and biscuits. Ok to have occasionally or small amounts but not in large amounts all the time.

capsium Mon 03-Feb-14 18:16:03

Oh and sugary drinks only for a treat when out or something but my DC will often ask for water anyway.

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 03-Feb-14 18:16:04

No such thing as healthy and unhealthy foods, just healthy/unhealthy diets.

<generalisation but not far off>

picnicbasketcase Mon 03-Feb-14 18:16:27

It makes me so cross that these people are judging what children are allowed to eat based on one meal that they see. What if they were a very fussy eater and all they've had for breakfast is fruit and their evening meal is salad? Maybe the fat and protein from the cheese is important to their diet.
At my DD's school, a single bar funsize Twix is sent home because apparently it's a chocolate bar and not a biscuit, but a Kitkat is fine. Both things are sold in the confectionery section in shops. Baffling.

TitsalinaBumSquash Mon 03-Feb-14 18:18:07

There was an assembly about healthy eating, they've said children will be rewarded for bringing a healthy packed lunch tomorrow. Then at lunch the lunch assistant peered into DS's lunch box and commented that he'll need to try harder tomorrow for a reward because he had a little pot with cubes of cheddar in there and cheese isn't a healthy choice!!!

Firstly, DS is on a high calorie and high fat diet, they know this, they've had reems of documentation from the drs. I have made the effort to provide the fat he needs in healthier foods such as cheese, yoghurt etc rather than cake and crisps.

This aside, even for my 'normal' son who is also in the school, I will not have them warped into thinking everything is bad and will make you unhealthy. angry

Dappydongle Mon 03-Feb-14 18:18:11

Lunch box police angry

capsium Mon 03-Feb-14 18:19:03

Oh I don't like the chocolate ban. Used to give a square of dark chocolate and now give a small amount of dried fruit because of the chocolate ban. The dried fruit is more sugary than the chocolate I used to give!

TitsalinaBumSquash Mon 03-Feb-14 18:19:07

I will be going in and having several words.

Pregnantberry Mon 03-Feb-14 18:20:52

Showy Also, the low fat and diet drinks advice is just plain wrong. Very often 'low fat' just means more sugar and/or additives - all the things you don't want too much of in a child's diet. It's much better to have a natural yoghurt, for example, than an artificial low fat one.

firedengines Mon 03-Feb-14 18:21:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 03-Feb-14 18:22:02

Oh that's just ridiculous!!!

I could understand banning the processed cheese string/dairy lea stuff but nothing wrong with a few cubes of cheese.

Fats important to absorb the fat soluble minerals.

capsium Mon 03-Feb-14 18:22:20

Put everything in pots. They cannot say it is not low fat then. Natural yoghurt is not a high fat food anyway, it is not oil or butter.

TheFantasticFixit Mon 03-Feb-14 18:23:24

Gosh how absolutely ridiculously odd. Of course cheese is fine!

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 03-Feb-14 18:23:34

I hate all this banning stuff. The replacement suggestions are usually fruit winders or Kellogg's cereal bars. No way is that healthier than a portion of nuts seeds and dark choc chips.

Frickin bonkers!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now