Talk

Advanced search

Altrincham grammer school for girls entrance

(5 Posts)
desteke Sun 02-Feb-14 20:17:00

Hi
My daughter currently goes to a prep school in the trafford area and we live in the catchment area for altrincham garmmer for girls. My dd is
not very academic and i just wondered how i could help? Are there any past entrance exam practice papers out there?

Karoleann Sun 02-Feb-14 21:51:31

If your daughter isnot very academic, altricham grammar probably isn't the best school for her. Prep schools are usually good at judging the best school for each child have you asked them what they think.

Some children do mature later and she could always go into the sixth form at altricham grammar.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 02-Feb-14 21:55:05

desteke

If your daughter is not very academic and you decide to go down the route of private tuition, do not be humble and let any other parents know your dd isn't very bright, when you meet them.
The children are lovely. That is all I'm prepared to say.

QueenQuinine Mon 03-Feb-14 14:12:23

It doesn't sound like AGGS is the best school for your DD, but there are plenty of resources out there on the web - http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/index.php is quite good.

Pressure was put on me to go to a grammar school I didn't want to go to, and I found it stressful even though I was able to pass the exams without much effort. I can imagine that not being very academic and feeling an expectation to get into a very selective school would be even more stressful.

Mandy21 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:44:23

As a pp has said, there are lots of resources around, the Trafford libraries stock the Schofield and Simms work books (which are what they use for some subjects at school) so you could go through those with her / reinforce her school learning at home.

Having said that, I think AGGS is a massively academic school. I think it is increasingly difficult to get into in the first place, but then it is massively academic throughout the school (more & more pressure from league tables etc). I think personally, if I didn't think my daughter was on that level, I wouldn't want to be signing her up to 7+ years of peer / school pressure to hit the expected level, even if you can tutor her to get in. I can't imagine that it would be conducive to a happy teenager.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now