Does anyone have any experience of The Gleddings Prep School at Savile Park, Halifax/ with any other wonderful primary schools in Halifax/ West Yorkshire area?

(27 Posts)
wholesomemum Thu 09-Jan-14 19:13:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hoppinggreen Thu 09-Jan-14 20:26:05

How about Rishworth? It's an independent with a prep attached ( Heathfield) so thy can go from 3-18 there.

wholesomemum Fri 10-Jan-14 08:39:24

LibbityBibbity Fri 10-Jan-14 11:10:38

I live not too far away from the Savile Park area and my child attends the magnificent Colden J&I School, a small village state school situated between Heptonstall and Blackshaw Head, up on the tops. It is currently number 41 in the primary school league table and just had the best Sats results at KS2 in the whole of Calderdale. There are just over 100 children between the ages of 4 and 11 on roll and the ethos is very much based on the traditional values of respect for learning and each other and the celebration of all achievement, no matter how small. I can't praise the school highly enough and my daughter is positively thriving there.

wholesomemum Fri 10-Jan-14 13:33:20

Hoppinggreen Fri 10-Jan-14 17:36:30

If you want to look at Huddersfield as well there is Hudds Grammar ( not actually a Grammar), which does 3-16.

Hoppinggreen Fri 10-Jan-14 17:44:10

It's very high up the league tables too and not too " elite"

wholesomemum Fri 10-Jan-14 17:58:44

wholesomemum Fri 10-Jan-14 18:15:56

LibbityBibbity Fri 10-Jan-14 19:20:40

Hi wholesomemum

We live some four miles from the school, so it's a fair trek, but, in my opinion, one that's worth making. Children do seem to travel a fair distance, from all quarters to get to the school, and there is actually a New York-style yellow school bus which, I believe, runs all the way through from Halifax to Colden. My daughter is now in year 1, but when she started reception, her class was under-subscribed, although there were two or three children who joined in spring term, from memory. It's a mystery to me why the school is never over-subscribed, but I think the location and the commute can put people off, especially as the weather can be fairly brutal. I swapped my car from a city runabout to a four-by-four after the first Colden winter! You are right about the infant schools in and around Hebden Bridge, but there are still ongoing concerns about Riverside as a junior school so you find lots of children moving in or after year 2 to one of the surrounding schools to avoid it.

I can't answer your question about the transition to secondary school, but I do know a high proportion of Colden top class (this is actually what it's called, I'm not making any reference to their socio-economic standing or their academic abilities!) do go on to the local grammars ie North Halifax, Bacup & Rawtenstall, Crossley Heath etc. I actually really like the 'unworldiness' of Colden, and the fact that it seems to allow children to be children for longer. I agree with you re: the fresh air; this was a major draw for me, plus the fact that the children have an extra 30-minutes' outdoor play every day, compared to the town schools. They breed a hardy lot up there on the tops and the children are not fazed by weather. I still marvel at the fact that the children are allowed to go sledging in a neighbouring farmer's field when it snows, rather than having their fun restricted by health & saftey rules, plus, in the summer, the children collect bags of sheep poo from the same field before they have their sports' day!

I'm happy to chat on or offline if you would like to discuss further.

Hoppinggreen Fri 10-Jan-14 21:10:21

Huddersfield grammar is definitely not in the town centre ( Huddersfield not a city).

wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 08:42:24

wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 08:43:26

wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 15:08:52

BrokenBananaTantrum Sat 11-Jan-14 15:12:17

Are there any places at Gleddings? I was told some people were putting their childrens names down while they were still pregnant. I couldn't get DD in as the waiting list had 25 children on it for her year.

wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 15:53:46

BrokenBananaTantrum Sat 11-Jan-14 21:33:44

Awww a lovely snuggly newborn! Congratulations! Ring them Monday?

Geelixmum Thu 26-Jun-14 17:37:06

My DD went to the Gleddings and is now at Crossley Heath. Her Gleddings days were simply a joy. It's such a wonderful place and I loved it sooooo much I now work there. The school does register children before they are even born but it is well worth going for a visit. I can't recommend it highly enough xx

Hypnobirthbaby Wed 16-Sep-15 11:53:01

My little girl has just started Gleddings and the fact it is in the top 50 schools nationally I think says it all ! Mrs Wilson is incredible and Mrs Armstrong so good !!! It's the best school I have ever seen ! I compared against the mount at the only other prep school (stand alone ) ' Gleddings was way way better so personal too !!! So caring and so good at raising children's confidence ! I live in Norland and attended Norland personally as a child , I wanted more for my children !! Rishworth was not an option for me as as said very low achieving and high drug issues I belive !!! Gleddings preps for grammar school exams !!! It's perfect !! Despite not being able to afford comfortably fees I have made huge cut backs and wow I am glad I have ! My background and first degree is in early years and I am very critical !!! Think the fact you register children at birth or before says it all and no advertising !! I used to babysit too children who went too and they loved it and excelled there x

Hypnobirthbaby Wed 16-Sep-15 11:54:14

Excuse me typos !! xxx

Namechangenell Wed 16-Sep-15 17:35:22

Just wanted to say that for anyone thinking of Crossley Heath long term, the head is my old English teacher (going back 20 years or so!) and she is amazing!

Frenchtoast56 Sun 01-Nov-15 23:53:58

Trouble is by the time they get to Crossley Heath the Gleddings kids have been so drilled in the 11+ that they are behind on everything else, particularly English grammar. Then they hold the other kids who are just smart and have had a regular education back.

funkymonkey21 Wed 02-Dec-15 08:15:22

I am very surprised to have read the last message in the light of the inspection report of May 2015 which found attainment at The Gleddings to be exceptional and all aspects of the school excellent. Many of the children achieve Level 6 in English Grammar.

Frenchtoast56 Mon 07-Dec-15 11:11:46

I'm not saying The Gleddings is a bad school, just that drilling kids to pass an exam for many years, which is what happens at The Gleddings is bound to have a detrimental effect on other aspects of the curriculum. There is only so much time in a school day. The kids who get into Crossley Heath from state schools are exceptionally bright and pass the entrance exam with far less exam specific tuition (most pay for a year with a private tutor). -Leaving the school day for a rounded education.

There may be some exceptionally bright kids at The Gleddings and i'm sure some do achieve level six in English, as children do at most state schools.

If you are worried your child won't pass the 11+ without years of tutoring, then The Gleddings is an option. But if this is the case, you need to ask if your child would thrive in such an highly academic environment as Crossley Heath, or, as has been my experience, that they will feel they are holding other children back.

funkymonkey21 Mon 14-Dec-15 10:20:09

Everyone has an absolute right to an opinion but the facts are the facts. Very few children in the country achieve Level 6 at the end of Year 6. To achieve Level 6, children have to take additional exams. Only half the children nationally achieve Level 5s (fewer in Calderdale) whereas every year, most, if not all, of The Gleddings children leave with Level 5 in English and Maths and in 2015, 58% achieved Level 6 in English Grammar. The reason for this is simple and the clue lies in the name. The Gleddings is a 'Preparatory' school. Its reason for being is to prepare children for the next stage of their education and it does this by achieving the highest possible standards (for all children, whatever their ability) in English and Maths, as both are key to success in all subjects. Having said that, a quick look at The Gleddings website shows the enormous breadth and richness of the curriculum. Children learn 2 modern foreign languages (the Chinese government awarded Confucius Classroom status to The Gleddings in recognition of the high level of Mandarin teaching) and the standards in Art, Textiles, Ceramics and DT are amazing. The children achieve significant success in sport and the music is renowned throughout Calderdale and beyond. Take a look at the amazing WOW History day when children went back in time to the signing of the Magna Carta as part of all of the other fantastic learning experiences that the children enjoy and thrive on. The past Heads of Maths and Literacy at Crossleys both now teach at The Gleddings and their experiences and views are very different from yours. You could always ring and ask to visit, chat to them and others to get an insight into what is so special about The Gleddings and why places are oversubscribed beyond 2020.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now