Talk

Advanced search

Roundwood & Wood end primary schools harpenden

(15 Posts)
harpendenmum1 Wed 01-Jan-14 23:07:06

I'm trying to decide which of these to make as my first choice on reception application for my son and would welcome any insights from current parents or those who know either/both schools. I was a little concerned re Head of Roundwood when I visited (she didn't introduce herself at Open Day which seemed strange to me and indicated she may retire soon). Can anyone comment on how she is as a Head? The Ofsteds for both schools are pretty old and therefore not that useful - do you feel the Outstanding ratings are still merited? Very grateful for any thoughts.

CarolineKnappShappey Fri 03-Jan-14 18:31:43

They are both still well regarded.

Hate to say it, but think you will get what you're given, unless you live v close to Roundwood.

CarolineKnappShappey Fri 03-Jan-14 18:33:24

Is your DS in a pre school or nursery, or go yo any classes? The schools gossip is rife in Harpenden, and you 'line able to pick up more info.

If it was me though, I'd go Roundwood.

HalleLoujaandHappyNewYear Fri 03-Jan-14 18:37:16

I think there are lots of siblings in roundwood intake for next September. I would check with the school. Have heard great things about both. There is a Harpenden Parents group on fb you should be able to get opinions from. Also there is a local mn board for Herts.

harpendenmum1 Sat 04-Jan-14 19:17:42

Thanks both of you - that's helpful. We do live v close to Roundwood so think would get a place there. I've tried the local mums net board but not managed to find the Harpenden Parents group on Facebook - are you able to send a link to help me find it? Will also try asking at pre-school and indeed have talked to some of the mums there but we only moved here recently and nursery is in Batford so not sure how many will know these primaries well - and I work 4 days a week so also don't get that much chance to talk to the other mums. Thanks again.

HalleLoujaandHappyNewYear Sat 04-Jan-14 21:50:49

Link is here

CarolineKnappShappey Sat 04-Jan-14 23:16:06

No worries. Have you checked the distance that the last child go into Roundwood from last year? It may be a bit of an eye opener.

LibraryBook Fri 10-Jan-14 20:10:10

primary-schools.findthebest.co.uk/compare/13581-13688/Roundwood-Primary-School-vs-Wood-End-School

This helps you compare the raw data.

But in reality the only realistic chance of getting into Roundwood school is if it's your nearest (unless your child has other reasons, SEN, sibling etc) as you then apply under that rule (nearest) rather than the next rule.

You can check which is your nearest school by putting our address into the Herts LEA website.

Choice is illusory. wink

Expatmomma Mon 03-Feb-14 19:52:11

I went to Roundwood Primary many moons ago.
Then on to Roundwood Park... Back then RP streamed it's 5 form intake. I was in the top class and stream .... Every child was either Roundwood or Wood End.

I have great memories of Roundwood juniors. Obviously probably a very different school today but was a good plane to grow up.

invicta Mon 03-Feb-14 19:55:08

I also went to Roundwood when it was called Roundwood JMI. ( JMI - junior mixed infants). Both schools remain good.

Expatmomma Mon 03-Feb-14 22:10:35

Yup was there in the JMI days too and also when the train ran along the Nicky Line!!!!

invicta Tue 04-Feb-14 09:11:56

Yes, I remember the train also. I left in 1980, when did you leave?

Expatmomma Wed 12-Feb-14 20:26:20

1981!!!!!

If you went the whole way though you must have been a year above me ������

invicta Wed 12-Feb-14 20:53:54

Yep!

invicta Wed 12-Feb-14 20:57:03

It's a small world!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now