Advanced search

Does your Primary School administer short term medicines.

(33 Posts)
FranSanDisco Sat 26-Oct-13 18:40:46

I specifically mean medicines not requiring a care plan such as calpol or penicillan which may need to be given during the school day as part of a course of treatment.

Periwinkle007 Sun 27-Oct-13 19:06:09

no only prescribed medicines. they say if a child needs calpol then they shouldn't be at school.

starlight1234 Sun 27-Oct-13 15:47:04

Our school used to but now won't only long term meds..Basically someone complained to health and safety and have been told they won't be supported if they have made an error and a parent sue's

auntpetunia Sun 27-Oct-13 15:10:08

State primary here …we will give medicine but only if prescribed and with pharmacy label on giving instructions. Parents need to complete a form giving details of the dose and time the medicine is needed.

mrz Sun 27-Oct-13 09:42:39

As a school we would administer the prescribed antibiotic and Calpol etc (labelled with child's name and dosage from pharmacy) but not over the counter medications.

FranSanDisco Sun 27-Oct-13 09:32:43

Mrz thanks for the link.

Thanks for all replies. There appears to be wide differences between schools. The issue I am specifically interested in is the calpol, antibiotic type treatment. Care plans/long term health care and emergency care is not an issue. Epipens, inhalers, eczema cream application is all carried out.

Where a welfare person or school nurse is not based on site throughout the day, and the child is too young to manage him/herself, this obviously falls to office or support staff I guess and their agreement to do so unless contractua?

Bunnyjo Sun 27-Oct-13 08:48:48

DD goes to a state school (small village school). She has asthma and, as such, has a detailed health care plan in place. She has reliever inhalers and a spacer in class. DD is 6yo and good at knowing when her asthma is becoming troublesome - she tends to continually cough when bothered rather than wheeze lots, certainly in the earlier stages of an attack - and the teaching staff are also good at recognising the earlier signs. Her inhalers are taken wherever she is; so if she is doing outdoor sports, the teacher takes the inhalers outside too. This is the same for all children with asthma, as an attack can be sudden and without warning.

Insulin, asthma and allergic medications are also kept in the office and given either daily or when necessary. Noramum, I would not be happy with this arrangement at all. DD's asthma can take a very sudden turn and, if her medications were in the office as opposed to kept in the classroom where she is, then the delay in administering them could be life threatening.

DD has also been prescribed Betnovate for eczema and the teaching staff have helped her apply it if necessary. Unless it was for a recurring condition and/or specifically advised by the GP (e.g. period pains in an older primary girl), I would not expect the school to administer pain relief medication like Calpol.

mrz Sun 27-Oct-13 07:47:31

MidniteScribbler Sun 27-Oct-13 01:38:44

Only if prescribed by a doctor. Not if prescribed by a parent eg 'he'll be fine in a couple of hours if you give him some panadol." Nope, then he needs to be at home.

ShoeWhore Sat 26-Oct-13 20:58:20

State primary.

Only administers medicine where it's lifesaving like an epipen (inhalers are ok) or part of a child's statement.

Barbeasty Sat 26-Oct-13 20:52:58

Of the 4 primary schools we are applying to 2 will give medicine, 1 would rather not but will if necessary, the last one will not in any circumstances.

I'd rather not apply to the last one, mainly for that reason, but it's our village school and we don't want to risk getting none of our choices and not getting free transport because that school wasn't on our form.

I couldn't afford not to work just because a DC needed medicine during school hours.

ginmakesitallok Sat 26-Oct-13 20:47:07

Ours will only give prescribed medicines, with set timings. So when dd recently needed break through pain relief after an op they wouldn't give it to her, I kept her off school.

ginmakesitallok Sat 26-Oct-13 20:46:20

Ours will only give prescribed medicines, with set timings. So when dd recently needed break through pain relief after an op they wouldn't give it to her, I kept her off school.

insanityscratching Sat 26-Oct-13 20:42:54

Our school do administer eye drops (antihistamine for dd) and I assume ear drops (dd has never needed them). They are kept in the office, the TA administers them for dd but dosage etc is double checked by office staff.

trinity0097 Sat 26-Oct-13 20:40:42

I work in an independent school and we give all sorts of drugs, either ones that parents bring in, or standard things from our supplies, e.g. Calpol, piriton, deep heat etc... Parents give consent, either for the nurse to decide whether the child needs it or for the nurse to ring and get consent first. Different consents can be given for different meds, e.g. They could say yes never ask parents for painkillers, but do ask for allergy meds for example. Our school day is much longer so not appropriate to insist that doses have to be at home.

Dancingqueen17 Sat 26-Oct-13 20:39:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noramum Sat 26-Oct-13 20:09:08

Our school only administer prescribed medicine. They allow antibiotics but prefer the type you only need to take 3 times a day as you can do this then outside school hours.

Medicine is kept in the office and staff administer it but prefers the child to do it. They also admit that a 4 year old can't do it though.

Insulin, asthma and allergic medications are also kept in the office and given either daily or when necessary.

Hulababy Sat 26-Oct-13 20:02:00

State infants

The independent prep dd went to would administer prescribed meds and sometime non prescribed such as Calpil depending on circumstances. They wouldn't agree when it was a poorly child just being given it to keep them going. But when dd had period pain in y6 they allowed her to have Calpol fast melts kept in the office.

FranSanDisco Sat 26-Oct-13 19:56:14

Would the schools that do administer medicine also deal with ear and eye drops I am wondering?

Sirzy Sat 26-Oct-13 19:55:23

The school my son is at will only give long term medicines generally which I think is fair enough.

They certainly shouldn't be giving calpol type medicines as if a child needs them they shouldn't be in school IMO.

PatriciaHolm Sat 26-Oct-13 19:54:18

Yes, our state has no problem with it as long as parents sign when they give it in. They would prefer children self administer but office staff will give it.

FranSanDisco Sat 26-Oct-13 19:52:26

Hulababy and firsttimemama are your schools state or private schools if you don't mind me asking.

Hulababy Sat 26-Oct-13 19:50:39

In work in an infant school.

Prescribed medicines are handed in at office and a form filled in. They will then give it to the child when they go to the office.

Long term meds are Dealt with separately and normally by the class teacher or TA.

Non prescribed meds such as a parent asking us to give a child calpol - no, not without A doctor prescribing it

firsttimemama Sat 26-Oct-13 19:44:06

My Dc's primary do. The Welfare lady does it. I think they wouldn't do Capol etc but they may have changed their mind on that lately. Parents have to hand over the medicine and speak with the Welfare lady in person before she will take on this responsibility.

FranSanDisco Sat 26-Oct-13 19:36:10

Spanieleyes - the schools in the LAs I am familiar with require parents/carers to come in for the 3 hourly type treatments.

FranSanDisco Sat 26-Oct-13 19:33:48

MrsCampbellBlack, interesting that your school is private. I would be interested to know if it is a private/state school thing. I have been told the schools follow LA directives which wouldn't apply to some schools such as private schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now