Talk

Advanced search

AM I the only one not buying new uniform?

(42 Posts)
Fuzzymum1 Sun 18-Aug-13 21:11:32

Everyone I know is buying new uniform and shoes "Because it's a new year" even though their children have some uniform that is fine from last year. DS3 had new shoes and trousers at easter and his polos and sweatshirts from last year still fit fine - if he outgrows them during the year (which I fully expect him to do) I will buy new then, but don't see the need for new stuff just because he's had six weeks off school. I'd rather spend that money doing fun stuff over the summer.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 18-Aug-13 21:18:33

I had to buy some new items as the kids had grown out of/trashed their skirts/trousers/shoes and I had held off buying new stuff at the end of the school year. I only bought 2 new polo shirts for dd and passed down 2 smaller sized ones to ds. DD got new skirts/trousers and ds got new trousers all in the bigger size. They didnt get new jackets/jumpers/cardis though as last years stuff was still ok

meditrina Sun 18-Aug-13 21:19:09

This is about the third thread I've seen on this recently.

It's only on MN, never in RL, that I have ever heard of this. And I've not noticed manifestations of it in the playground either. It's not "everyone" by any stretch, really it isn't.

trixymalixy Sun 18-Aug-13 21:20:27

DS got new shoes, that was it, everything else still fits.

Scruffey Sun 18-Aug-13 21:22:22

Most dc get shoes in September as the last pair are outgrown or worn out. My ds's shoes had holes in and he made them manage for the last couple of weeks of term so now just got new. They had lasted the whole year so I got shoes last September as well. Those also had lasted the year so I got new the September before as well! Dc start reception in September so it is to be expected IMO.

Same goes for clothes. Kids often have scruffy/tight uniform in July but new in Sept. I didn't buy a huge amount of new uniform but I did need some. Jumpers - too tight, bought 2 more. Repaired some, handed some down, kept some. It's unlikely people would just replace an item that is neither outgrown, worn out or scruffy.

HorryIsUpduffed Sun 18-Aug-13 21:22:54

Only what's outgrown. But he had a growth spurt in March so he had a lot then.

Mind you, he appears to have grown an inch in eight weeks so might need the size above that hmm so it's probably for the best that he will be doing the first week or two in shorts!

tethersend Sun 18-Aug-13 21:28:12

I'm not.

DD goes to a non-uniform school grin

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 18-Aug-13 21:32:09

I am buying all new except for PE kit because by the end of the summer term her uniform was a wreck, bobbly, too short, and generally mucky. Her shoes lasted a year too. I'm not buying stuff for the fun of it. If last year's was any good she'd be wearing it.

Fuzzymum1 Sun 18-Aug-13 21:32:20

I'm glad it's not just me - I was beginning to feel like I was being stingy in not getting all new stuff, LOL.

Periwinkle007 Sun 18-Aug-13 22:16:15

no - I have one going into yr1 and one going into reception. Yr1 child had new skirt and cardigan at Easter and new shoes at half term and her PE kit, blouses and socks still fit so she just has a new pinafore and tights.
reception child is a lot smaller so I have passed down the cardigan and a skirt her sister had in preschool but otherwise she has had to have new things. I don't believe in buying just for the sake of it.

Bluestocking Sun 18-Aug-13 22:19:20

DS will need new shoes. Otherwise everything else is fine! What's the point in spending money on new uniform before you actually need it?

saythatagain Sun 18-Aug-13 22:21:01

I can't tell you the utter joy I felt when dd (9yrs, going into y5) tried on last years shirts and they still fit!
I already bought big for blazer/skirt etc last year too.
It looks like it could be pe shorts and footwear; but if they still fit? Wowsers! Bingo!

ArgyMargy Sun 18-Aug-13 22:21:36

No, you're not. Don't be ridiculous. A new pencilcase, maybe, but only fools would buy new clothes before they're needed.

ThreeBeeOneGee Sun 18-Aug-13 22:23:52

Last summer I hardly bought any, just shoes.

The summer before that I had to buy loads: DS1, DD and DS3 all moved up to new schools.

This summer it's been about average; nothing new for DD or DS3, but DS1 has grown a significant amount, and DS2 is about to move up to the same school but is too titchy for most of the uniform that DS1 wore. I know that Y7s traditionally wear uniform that's a bit big on them, but DS1's old stuff is three sizes too big!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 18-Aug-13 22:34:34

DD is going into year 5 still wearing a jumper she had in reception, yes it was big then.

mrsyattering Sun 18-Aug-13 22:39:52

ive only bought shoes and gym as shes grown a size on the holidays! socks, two pinafores (last years are bum skimming)and a cardigan. The rest is fine, why buy all new if the rest still fits

Runningchick123 Mon 19-Aug-13 06:52:45

I'm replacing just the stuff that needs replacing. The school holds a uniform sale over the summer for the stuff that needs the logo so I will buy anything that has already outgrown/ worn out and anything that I know will need replacing within the first half term due to being almost worn out as its easier to have a replacement on standby and not rush around trying to get it three weeks into the new school year when everything is sold out.
Why would I replace things that don't need replacing? That's just an utter waste of hard earned money.
I can imagine that I will need to replace almost all of the stationery items though.....might make that today's task.

littlemiss06 Mon 19-Aug-13 07:32:27

My kids always need new uniform only because I make it last all year, they will need new shoes through the year but pants tops etc I tend to make do if I can so by the end of the year they always need new polo tops and pants, so I buy new uniform every year to start a new year, some things I might be able to make do with, like pe kit and maybe a sweatshirt

FriskyMare Mon 19-Aug-13 07:38:11

DD is going into year 11with the same blazer/skirt and pe kit she had in year 7! her skirts have just got shorter which she likes
DS needs a new blazer trousers etc after 2 years as he has grown so much.

Galena Mon 19-Aug-13 08:49:55

DD (pfb... well, p only b) is starting reception so has all new. Hers will be replaced when she grows out of it or it falls apart.

I guess what happens with some people is that they buy new in Sept, by March it's getting a bit small but they make do and buy summer stuff in April or May in the next size up. That does till end of the year, so they buy new winter stuff in Sept because last year's is well and truly too small by then.

lljkk Mon 19-Aug-13 09:05:01

No no no, only buy stuff when outgrown or knackered. Who are these people who can afford all new stuff just because it's a new year?

On secondary transfer thread most of us are spending about £300. What kind of numpty would do that every yr if they didn't have to?

CockyFox Mon 19-Aug-13 09:12:20

Hahahaha this reminds me of the state I looked when I started secondary school with uniform to last. A lovely Ankle length box pleat skirt and a blazer that reached my knees.

I buy new every year because although I always buy big enough to last it is always stained, worn or otherwise damaged by July. I don't get new pants, vests and socks though.

LIZS Mon 19-Aug-13 09:13:39

Only ever buy what is outgrown, tatty or needed as extra. People are just odd especially when money is supposed to be tight.

MousyMouse Mon 19-Aug-13 09:16:43

I only buy what is outgrown or broken.
so this year it's a couple of trousers, a few pairs of socks and some polo shirts and shoes. the rest is still fine and fits.

FreakoidOrganisoid Mon 19-Aug-13 09:18:19

I only replace what needs it. Unfortunately this year it was pretty much everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now