Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Whens nc currculum changng and how?

(10 Posts)
mam29 Wed 24-Jul-13 09:01:44

Keep reading its changing how?

Is it just the scrappng of sub levels and way you mark/score?

Or s the curriculum and expections of learning outcomes changing?

dd1 year 3 next year so just startng ks2?
does this mean in 2017 when does year 6 sats we wont know what nc level she is or will there stll be actual levls ie level 5 level 6.

was also told yesterday that efys s becoming more formal thourght it had just changed?

guess anything could happen just wanted to know what should be aware of over next 18months-2years.

as dd1 a junior
dd2 suppost to be starting next september with dd3 year after.

MirandaWest Wed 24-Jul-13 09:04:45

I'm not sure that anyone knows exactly what's going to happen yet tbh.

mrz Wed 24-Jul-13 09:26:29

There is currently a consultation on the final draft and the new curriculum (if it becomes law) will be in place for September 2014.
However the government are saying that schools can begin to use the new curriculum in Y3 & 4 from this September and the foundation subjects only in other year groups

it's all a bit airy fairy

NewNameForNewTerm Wed 24-Jul-13 09:30:22

Very good question. I, and every other teacher I know, wish we knew the answers! Not sure anyone, even Mr Gove, knows the answers and what he has decided on does not make sense or contradicts other decision. Sorry state of affairs! We are just planning to carry on with hat we know is working now, until we are ordered otherwise!

mam29 Wed 24-Jul-13 12:58:04

Thanks guys as so confusing when they report on news changes but never quite sure is it consultation proposal, is it law passed or is it never going to happen as when queens speech happens usually some part of education bill which no 1 pays much attention to until the changes hit thr ground and their childs effected.

Im curious what it means for parents and kids alike.

will it be more formal.

more broad

harder

more paperwork and testing

which year be guini pigs

whats the aims and reasons for change.

At moment dds school say they do something called a thematic curriculum with only literacy, numeracy and science as standalone topics maybe re too the rest is taught through a topic subject.
They seem to have different approach to last school so the way some schools interpret current curriculum is varied.

keep reading private schools ditching the nc and confused about state academies as the local free school offers latin.

Also excuse me if muppet question but we have private, free and academies choosing their own thing makes a mockety of the nc if only 50% or lea schools only following it.

mrz Wed 24-Jul-13 18:08:24

Again, having given careful consideration to the arguments expressed during the public consultation, the government has confirmed its intention to disapply elements of the national curriculum for a time limited period in order to give schools greater flexibility to manage the transition from the existing national curriculum to the new one. This will mean that while maintained schools will still be required to teach national curriculum subjects, they will not be required to teach the centrally prescribed programmes of study (or use attainment targets as part of statutory assessment arrangements) from September 2013 for the following subjects:

English, mathematics and science for pupils in year 3 and year 4
all foundation subjects for pupils at key stages 1 and 2
all subjects for pupils at key stage 3 and key stage 4.

Schools can choose to continue to teach the current programmes of study or they may use the flexibility that disapplication provides to adapt their curricula to ensure that pupils are well-prepared to start learning the new programmes of study which will be introduced from September 2014 (or September 2015 for key stage 4 English, mathematics and science).
The new national curriculum

Further announcements about the new national curriculum, including the content of the programmes of study for national curriculum subjects, will be made in due course.

The consultation closes on Aug 8th
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/national-curriculum-review-new-programmes-of-study-and-attainment-targets-from-september-2014

The teaching of all national curriculum subjects will remain compulsory, but schools will be able to choose to either follow the existing programmes of study or adjust them to support transition to the new national curriculum. The regulations which will bring this change into effect have now been laid before Parliament and will come into force on 1 September 2013.

mrz Wed 24-Jul-13 18:09:47

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/national-curriculum-review-new-programmes-of-study-and-attainment-targets-from-september-2014

mam29 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:50:46

Thanks mrs z will take a look.

simpson Wed 24-Jul-13 21:44:30

I thought that schools could decide how they were going to grade children themselves, maybe I am wrong?

If that is the case I would have thought a lot of schools will keep the same system.

mam29 Wed 24-Jul-13 22:25:31

Just gone though framework which says

no sex ed for primary as no tick in box,.
languages key stage already covered french and spanish in keystage 1

nothing seems alarming right now seems similar to now ecept i know news said something about programming,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now