Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling all Y6 parents? Please let me know your thoughts...

(5 Posts)
PastSellByDate Sun 07-Jul-13 08:05:32

Hello all:

Several heated feeds going on about this at the moment about school reports/ SATs reports- e.g. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/1796391-End-of-year-Reports?msgid=40143690#40143690

The current guidance is: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/187455/Assessment_20and_20reporting_20arrangements_20-_20Key_20Stage_202.pdf.pdf

So my questions to MNetters are this:

Should the guidance be more strongly worded to require schools to provide official Y6 SATs results (i.e. after release of National thresholds)?

Yes or No?

If school is contesting a pupil's KS2 SATs results, should parents be informed of this fact and the current NC Level based on Official Results? [with acknowledgement that this NC Level system is changing - so parents should be informed of results against whatever the replacement system is].

Yes or No?

Should the guidance be more strongly worded that provision of end of year reports MUST include allowing parent/ teacher evening time for parents to come and dicuss end of year reports & any SATs results, including Y6 pupils?

Yes or No?

Thanks for your opinions on this.

spanieleyes Sun 07-Jul-13 08:34:20

I'm a Year 6 teacher, can I reply too?
Should the guidance be more strongly worded to require schools to provide official Y6 SATs results (i.e. after release of National thresholds)?
Absolutely, after all, these are the levels against which secondary school progression is judged and are ( in some but not all cases) used for setting etc. The guidance however does say that the results of National Curriculum tests, by LEVELS ( but not sub-levels) should be provided. SO if you have not received these by the end of term, the school is failing in it's statutory duty. Reports don't have to include these levels ( because some schools send reports out BEFORE the results are known) but the school HAS to supply them.

If school is contesting a pupil's KS2 SATs results, should parents be informed of this fact and the current NC Level based on Official Results?
Yes, why not? Results can only be contested if there are errors in marking the paper which are sufficient to change the overall level given, A school can't contest the marks simply because they believe they are not indicative of a child's actual ability, that is where the teacher assessment comes in.

Should the guidance be more strongly worded that provision of end of year reports MUST include allowing parent/ teacher evening time for parents to come and discuss end of year reports & any SATs results, including Y6 pupils?

Yes, there should be an opportunity to discuss ANY report. Discussion of SATs results however is a little pointless, they are what they are! Discussion could only take place around any discrepancy between teacher assessment levels and test results and why these might not match up.

I think Year 6 reports should include the teacher assessment results AND the test results both with sub levels. Ours do.

PastSellByDate Sun 07-Jul-13 13:48:30

Thanks spanieleyes

Don't know where you teach - but your sensible answers hearten me!

GetStuffezd Sun 07-Jul-13 13:55:38

1. Yes, parent should be informed of their children's levels. If schools have kept parents up to date with levels and assessment results during the year there shouldn't be any nasty shocks. If a child does under perform, you can then explain that there is sufficient evidence to give a higher teacher assessment grade.

2. I don't see much benefit of telling a parent you're contesting their child's result in case it raises hope falsely. If a grade was upped on appeal then I would obviously let the parent know. If a parent asked me whether I was contesting a grade, I would obviously answer honestly.

3. Yes, all parents should have the chance to discuss reports and levels. I will be honest and say I inwardly groan when I get any slips back indicating a parent wishes to discuss reports/levels, but in previous years many parents haven't bothered.

I really think that if schools are honest about levels throughout the year, the whole reporting of levels process shouldn't be that problematic.

PastSellByDate Sun 07-Jul-13 14:22:05

Thanks GetStuffezd:

I understand the inward groan (parents may be upset/ angry) but I suspect it's coming from a place of genuine worry about their DC & hopefully parents will try and be constructive in discussing what happens next & how to help next.

What a refreshingly sensible approach! Absolutely agree with schools reporting levels throughout year & honestly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now