Advanced search

Does anyone know what this nursery school equipment is called please?

(26 Posts)
Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 12:28:14

My Dd and I recently visited the Nursery School she will be attending in August and she found this particular activity fascinating -

It's a plasticky mesh with circular holes into which the child pushes various coloured pegs of different shapes, triangular, circular, rectangular and square-shaped.

If I could get one for home I can imagine hours of peace but unfortunately I've not been able to find it online as I don't know what it's called. I've also asked on the staffroom board but have asked here too as this board has more visitors. Thanks.

SavoyCabbage Sun 30-Jun-13 12:29:21


Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 12:31:14

Thanks savoy cabbage but I tried pegboard and couldn't find it under that.

SavoyCabbage Sun 30-Jun-13 12:36:33

Anything like any of

I wonder if she might like Hama beads, mine love them.

Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 12:42:23

Thanks for the suggestion. It's none of those ones though. She does like Hama beads and plays with them at her current nursery however it's this thing with the small plastic shaped pegs and mesh that she's raving about! smile

insancerre Sun 30-Jun-13 12:45:01

this is where lots of nurseries get their toys from
might be on here somewhere?

SavoyCabbage Sun 30-Jun-13 12:46:56

How big are the holes/pegs?

Have a look on sbs-educational website. It's a educational supplies company.

Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 12:49:11

Thanks, will take a look.

Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 12:50:52

Quite small, holes are probably less than 1cm diameter and pegs are probably around 1-2 cm wide depending on shape.

mrz Sun 30-Jun-13 12:52:07

mrz Sun 30-Jun-13 12:54:39

Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 12:58:42

Thanks but it's none of those. All good ideas though and I could get an alternative.

The thing I'm talking about, I'm sure I can remember using it in primary school 30 years ago for learning how to copy patterns.

Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 13:04:24

The nursery doesn't break up for summer until Friday. Would they think I was very odd if I popped in to ask? Dd does keep going on about this toy!

teacherwith2kids Sun 30-Jun-13 13:52:12

They might have a small private chuckle but secretly be enormously flattered! Be prepared, though - it may be a) expensive b) only available in class packs or c) recycled from the teacher's grandmother's loft!

Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 14:02:08

Thanks teacherwith2kids. I was a bit worried they'd think that the little one ruled the roost as in 'I want that - get it, mummy' and I do. It's not like that at all really, I say no to plenty things but she was so enthusiastic about this one I thought, why not?

It could be a granny's loft one though!

teacherwith2kids Sun 30-Jun-13 14:10:51

I wondered about Quercetti Fantacolour but although it has pegs of different sizes, they are the same shape?

teacherwith2kids Sun 30-Jun-13 14:14:36

Like this

Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 14:30:10

It's that sort of idea. That's a great alternative if the one she wants is unavailable, thanks.

I have a feeling it may be a seventies/eighties thing as I can remember using either that or something very similar in primary school. You know, 'copy this pattern' cards, say, yellow circle, two green squares, brown rectangle, white triangle and then the child would copy using the pegs.

JustOneMoreBite Sun 30-Jun-13 16:07:26

Like this?

threefeethighandrising Sun 30-Jun-13 16:16:28

The staff at DSis nursery are lovely, I can't imagine them being anything but helpful if we asked what one of their toys are. The certainly wouldn't judge me for taking an interest in DS's play.

You should ask them smile

Locketjuice Sun 30-Jun-13 16:20:25

I'm intrigued!

Teuchtermam Sun 30-Jun-13 22:15:31

Thanks for all the alternative suggestions. I'm going to ask at the nursery and will come back and reveal all when I know smile

MrsBazinga Sun 30-Jun-13 22:45:36

The picture isn't great, but we have these at school, and I think they fit your description. Children love them. There's a flexible holey mesh base, and you clip in the shapes to create patterns and pictures.

rockybalboa Sun 30-Jun-13 22:48:48

Why don't you just ask the nursery?

MrsBazinga Sun 30-Jun-13 22:52:33

My link didn't work, too tired to try again....sorry.
Ascoeducational site, search for 'multishapes' smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: