Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Latchmere or Fernhill?

(21 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 15:48:15

Just wondering if anyone has any inside information on either of these two schools who can help me make a decision between them.

Where we live means that both are a viable option.

Many tia.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 15:49:10

Please PM me if you'd rather.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 16:59:32

bump

Sneepy Tue 18-Jun-13 18:03:18

Have you been for a look around? I know people with children at both and they all seem very happy. Latchmere is 4-form entry, so quite big & has a reputation for being very academic. They have excellent facilities. Fernhill is smaller and more homey. Have you considered any other schools in the area?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 18:06:15

Yes. Thank you. I have looked around, but I looked around loads of schools for ds and that all went very badly so I prefer to hear from people who use them now iyswim instead of use my own instinct.

We wouldn't get into any other school. We're bang in the middle of them and far from the others.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 18:07:19

I worry that being where they are and oversubscribed, the HTs might be too autocratic and inflexible for us.

ImaHexGirl Tue 18-Jun-13 18:09:17

What kind of things are you looking for in the school that you choose?

Sneepy Tue 18-Jun-13 18:10:32

Are you looking for something specific for your son? What year is he? Don't discount getting into the other schools, you never know when a place is going to come available.

Where do your neighbors kids go? I would just stop people in the street and ask but I have no shame smile.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 18:13:27

Ultimately, good partnership with parents, welcoming, evidence-based practice, high academic standards, creative and community spirited, inclusive and open-minded.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 18:14:51

My son is sorted, - in an independent. This is for my dd.

Doesn't help that the holidays don't match and both HTs say they NEVER authorise absences hmm

Sneepy Tue 18-Jun-13 18:19:18

Well, I would personally choose Fernhill over Latchmere just because Latchmere is so very big. But as far as I know both have reputations for being just what you want. And HTs do authorize absences IME as long as you don't take the piss every holiday. Is this for reception?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 18:25:37

Yes reception.

Thank you. So they're much of a muchness?

seacloud Tue 18-Jun-13 18:30:37

fernhill will be 4form this year as they have a booster class so I would ask them if they plan to go back to 3 form next year as they kept that quite when we applied in Jan this year.
But both academically and ofsted outstanding. Do you need to consider wrap around care- latchmere is on site fernhill off site

seacloud Tue 18-Jun-13 18:31:09

sorry meant bolster class you know what I mean ( brain gone with preggers hormones )

Sneepy Tue 18-Jun-13 18:31:38

I would say so. Just saw your other thread too, which does your DD have a place at? If you want nurturing and flexibility, Alexandra is your best bet--they take kids from out of catchment for all sorts of reasons & are having a bulge class this year so might be a chance for that?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 18:41:50

It's for Sept 13 so Alexandra we'll be too far down the waiting list.

We have a place at one of the two I mentioned but could have a place at the other if we wanted it (apparently) confused.

I didn't like the welcome pack of the one we are at grin.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 19:34:01

bump?

ImaHexGirl Tue 18-Jun-13 20:23:15

Sorry to be pernickety but was wondering if there's a reason why one DC is in independent but looking at state for the other? Honestly no judgement here but would give me better idea of needs. I've heard stuff about one of the schools which would affect my advice as to which one better.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 20:30:55

SEN is the reason for ds.

Mrsrobertduvall Tue 18-Jun-13 20:53:46

New head at Fernhill...no idea if she's changed things..the old head had been there years.
Maybe post on Kingston local?

ImaHexGirl Tue 18-Jun-13 20:55:14

I would say Fernhill then but that's just because I think personally it has a more balanced perspective and is more likely to be a better fit overall with your family life but is also still good academically given where it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now