Talk

Advanced search

PAN fand Net capacity

(3 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNaiceHam Mon 17-Jun-13 15:12:04

Am I right in thinking the PAN is the maximum number of children able to be in a class. What does it stand for?

The net capacity, is that the net capacity of the school? So the maximum number of children able to be in the school at any one time?

the school I am appealing has not included net capacity in their appeal documentation. I have spoken to the apeals clerk who says as a VA school they o things differently to a Community school. They may think the net capacity is the number of children in reception. THe school have provided me with this number.

The clerk says the way forward is to go to appeal and mention to the panel that it is very difficult to argue against an Infant Class Size appeal if I don't have the figures.

prh47bridge Mon 17-Jun-13 16:16:01

No, that isn't right. PAN is the Published Admission Number, i.e. the number of children they will admit to Reception each year. So a school with three classes in each year might have a PAN of 90.

The net capacity is the total number of pupil places available in the school. The appeals clerk is wrong to say that a VA school does things differently in this regard. They do in some respects but they are required to use the same method for assessing net capacity as community schools - see here and look at paragraph 3 on page 2.

This stuff isn't so important for your appeal as you aren't disputing the capacity, you are claiming that the school has failed to implement its admission arrangements correctly. But if they have not stated the net capacity in their documentation and won't answer the question I would raise that as yet another area in which this school thinks it is above the law.

GreenEggsAndNaiceHam Mon 17-Jun-13 22:17:25

Thanks prh, that makes sense now.

It's a PAN of 30. I was thinking about composite classes as i know they have had themin the past as the PAN was higher a few years back, but not a multiple of 15. You're right, Not something to worry about to much though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now