Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Aberdeen

(13 Posts)
Dodo0306 Tue 28-May-13 19:40:02

Hi all I may move to Aberdeen by next August as I will start my masters degree at university of Aberdeen and I do have two kids 7 and 11 can any they re American citizens . Can they be admitted to public primary school in Aberdeen .

DorisShutt Tue 28-May-13 19:43:01

Scottish primary schools are based on catchment area, rather than having to apply for specific schools.

The other alternative is private which you would need to pay for/have bursaries.

DorisShutt Tue 28-May-13 19:44:24

This will tell you which school your kids are likely to attend if you have an address/area you are thinking about it.

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 28-May-13 19:51:36

Yes, if you are resident in Scotland, they are entitled to a state school place (btw, confusingly, "public" school in uk traditionally means "private, fee paying"!).

In Scotland, you should get a place in your local school ( they have defined catchment areas), therefore check out the schools before you choose your accommodation.

The university of Aberdeen is great (I loved my time there), I'm sure their international student advisors will answer your questions.

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 28-May-13 19:55:59

If eldest child is already 11, they may be due to start secondary school this August, but again, it will be catchment area that you need to look closely at.

Euphemia Tue 28-May-13 20:49:02

If you contact Aberdeen City Council they will be able to advise you.

As a poster said above, a child who is already 11 may be going to high school in August - is s/he 12 before February 2014?

Dodo0306 Tue 28-May-13 21:30:52

No

Dodo0306 Tue 28-May-13 21:31:52

In us public school means u don't pay but private costs at least 4000$/yr

Dodo0306 Tue 28-May-13 21:34:27

So u mean I should choose the apartment first then apply for the kids

Helspopje Tue 28-May-13 21:34:55

have they been in the american education system thus far as you may prefer the american school http://www.isa.aberdeen.sch.uk/

Is fee-paying though

Dodo0306 Tue 28-May-13 21:37:52

How much does the apartment rent cost and what will be the closest area to the Aberdeen university where I should start looking for an apartment and at the same time not expensive but reasonable

Euphemia Tue 28-May-13 22:08:55

You can search for accommodation here.

JazzTheDog Tue 28-May-13 22:14:10

Aberdeen has a vast range of property prices, and some in much less desirable areas with not so great schools.

I live well outside the city and attend The Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen, I use public transport to get there.

Aberdeen University campus is located in the Old Aberdeen area, off King Street. There are lots of student accommodations around there, however i'm not sure what the catchment schooling would be like. You may be better off searching in the suburb Bridge of Don as there is good transport links and a better choice of areas and schools for your children. I don't think there is much in the way of inexpensive rental accommodation for families that i've seen to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now