Talk

Advanced search

Primary school places

(8 Posts)
Dontbugmemalone Mon 27-May-13 11:43:23

Hi all,

following on from some advice I received on another thread about moving back to England, I wonder if anyone could advise me.

I have no idea which area we will live in but I would like to know which areas are not pushed for school places, if possible. Do you know any good schools that have spaces?

DS1 will be 5 in July, so he'll need to be in year 1, I think?

Thanks in advance.

Dontbugmemalone Mon 27-May-13 13:41:59

Bump.

tiggytape Mon 27-May-13 13:58:08

As DS is 5 in July it will definitely be Year 1 that he joins in September (reception class if you come back before September)

I cannot help with areas that aren't full really - we're in London and that's the worst place for shortages (also Manchester, Bristol and other large cities can be bad) but that's not to say you wouldn't get into a good school. It is just down to luck with Year 1 places in busy areas - if someone leaves they create a space and in London especially lots of people move every year.

Dontbugmemalone Mon 27-May-13 14:08:00

Thanks for your reply.
Ok, that's good to know.

I see, so I have to try and aim for somewhere that's not a big city smile

mummytime Mon 27-May-13 14:16:01

Don't get bogged down by the school thing. As has been said on other threads, find job/jobs first and locate for those. LAs have to find you a school place "within a reasonable distance", if that is over 2 miles they have to provide transport at your DSs age too.

Most primary schools are pretty good (regardless of OFSTED or newspapers). So I wouldn't really panic. Big cities including London often have the most mobile population so even if the school is full it is more likely to have spaces coming up.

You can also move your child if the first school does not work out, and without "wrecking" your child's life.

Dontbugmemalone Mon 27-May-13 14:48:20

Thanks for the info- mummytime.

I'm not panicking, just trying to prepare myself as much as possible.

mummytime Mon 27-May-13 15:39:03

There is at least one MNer who moved back, got her DCs into her chosen schools, but then her DH couldn't get a job in the area, so they had to move again over 100 miles.

Dontbugmemalone Mon 27-May-13 17:28:25

Ok, well that's the worst scenario that I've already thought of. It's unfortunate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now