Talk

Advanced search

School shirts - where to buy

(11 Posts)
Elbuort Sun 26-May-13 10:52:05

I'm looking for good quality at reasonable price.

I've tried m&s and also tesco.

MrsShrek3 Sun 26-May-13 11:00:51

we use m&s white cotton shirts for ds1. was well, iron well and last him all year.
why do you say "tried m&s"?
dd wears Debenhams ones, it was the only place I could get a size and style that suited her in 100% cotton (eczema) and they are great too smile

beanandspud Sun 26-May-13 22:51:56

Rule #1: Whichever shirts you buy it will be impossible to remove the tomato base which forms the majority of school dinners (spaghetti bolognaise, curry, chilli...)

Rule #2: Buy a large quantity of cheap shirts that can be disposable in the event of stains (see Rule #1)

Rule #3: Keep one shirt for school photos, presentations etc.

From personal experience M&S shirts look good but were small, Next were ok but went yellow in the wash and cheap Tesco shirts were by far the best!

MrsShrek3 Sun 26-May-13 23:14:17

agree m&s come up the smaller side of average. I have a smallish 12yo and the 12 (or is it 12-13?) were spot on wink

Startail Sun 26-May-13 23:15:04

Rule 0 tomato is easy to remove wash shirt hang it outside in the sunshine (well outside in the day light). Tomato will vanish as if by magic. If it doesn't re-wet stain and repeat.

Tomato is very unstable in UV.

School gravy isn't mad on neat washing up liquid.

Whiteboard pen and paint are the reasons for cheap shirts. (Paint, sometimes shifts, whiteboard pen doesn't)

MrsShrek3 Sun 26-May-13 23:15:11

love beans list grin
absolutely spot on wink

Startail Sun 26-May-13 23:17:04

Come to think of it, MandS posh fitted girls blouses (DD2's favourites) are small.

Clary Sun 26-May-13 23:43:19

M&S is good but I find I have to order specially, rather than buy in store, if I am so mad and out there as to want 100% cotton shirts hmm

Actually OP are you talking secondary school shirts with buttons (I am) or do you mean primary polo shirts? In which case anywhere is good.

Startail Mon 27-May-13 11:08:47

Yes you are mad to want 100% cotton.

You have to _iron them!!!!!_

pointythings Mon 27-May-13 15:55:05

Agree M&S stuff comes up small (used to be huge, what happened?) DD1 has just got short-sleeved school blouses (100% cotton here too due to eczema) and she's in a size 13-14 (is 12) which fits perfectly (though is a bit wide around the chest but she needs the length)

I don't iron anything. I throw the blouses in a tumble dryer until still slightly damp, shake them out and then hang them on a hanger in the airing cupboard to finish. They end up about as crumpled as they end up by the time DD has walked to school. If anyone in this household ever decides they want ironed clothes, I will point them in the direction of the iron and tell them to have at it.

Schmedz Mon 27-May-13 18:19:13

John Lewis good quality and not that much more expensive than tesco.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now