Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only one?!

(11 Posts)
Allthatglitters789 Thu 23-May-13 09:29:12

My son is due to start reception in September we have already accepted the place but we have heard absolutely nothing from the school yet, is anyone else still waiting to hear from their school? I really didn't want to leave it till last minute to get uniform etc as we are going away in the school holidays and I have no idea what to get? Is anyone else already organised and ready for September?

Skygirls Thu 23-May-13 09:43:16

Schools usually wait after the half term holidays to get in touch with you. As far as uniform is concerned, don't buy way beforehand as most children seem to outgrow it before September. I'd wait until late July/ August to buy, unless you get a size bigger-then you can buy earlier.

If you're still anxious, a call to the school should give you more info as to when you receive 'the welcome pack'

Have you tried looking at the school website? They usually have a uniform list on there. Failing that, the uniform shop that caters for your school will have a list of the required uniform.

HTH

Fuzzymum1 Sat 25-May-13 19:59:05

Many schools don't send out any information until after the may half term. Teachers have until the day before the half term holiday to hand in their notice if they want to leave at the end of the school year. It would be quite unsettling as a parent to receive an information pack that says "your child will be in Mrs X's class" only to be told later than Mrs X has left and now it's Miss Y etc.

I know our school sends out the information shortly after the may half term, around the same time they send letters to the rest of the school letting them know what the class arrangements will be in september.

Periwinkle007 Sat 25-May-13 20:02:13

ours sent it out after half term last year and not heard yet this year so assuming the same. HOWEVER, we did only get the letter 5 days before the first settling in session so I wasn't hugely pleased. This year I am anticipating the date it will probably be so am prepared but not helpful for new parents.

MrsBungle Sat 25-May-13 20:07:13

I was just about to start a similar thread op! I just received a letter this morning with the school 'handbook'. The letter says we'd have a couple of introductory sessions before they start full time in September.

I know a few kids going to different schools and they have been going for half days for weeks now! Not sure if that means my school is disorganised or not as good at settling them in or what!

I'd give the school a ring after half term and ask them when you'll be receiving more information.

Periwinkle007 Sat 25-May-13 20:17:47

we had 2 settling in sessions of 1hr each. the first one was general and they met both teachers, second one they split them out into the classes they were going to be in with the staff they would have. It was plenty to be honest, I don't think they need any more sessions before the holidays.

Euphemia Sat 25-May-13 21:35:25

Surely it's about eight weeks until the holidays?!

(Five here in Scotland - zippety do-dah, zippety ay ...)

DorisIsWaiting Sat 25-May-13 22:00:26

Uniform requirements are normally available on the school website (our are) (and many stores discount them in July so it is worth buying then).

We've had 1 letter with dates of settlling in sessions and informations dates on a couple of weeks ago, but in previous years haven't recieved stuff till after half term.

Give the school a call after half term to see if they've sent anything out.

teafor1 Sun 26-May-13 07:20:08

I haven't heard anything yet either. My son is currently in R at the school where my daughter is starting and his teacher said the letters will go out in June.

Quenelle Sun 26-May-13 07:36:07

I got a letter on Friday inviting us to a parents' evening and three stay and play sessions in mid June.

Galena Sun 26-May-13 20:11:21

I've heard through other channels about when DD is going in to meet her teacher (she has enhanced transfer because she has a statement, so has a few extra sessions). But the letter I got from the school at the start of the week didn't have any information about that, just had the date of the parents' information meeting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now