Talk

Advanced search

EYFS - what does exceeding actually mean?

(15 Posts)
PassTheTwiglets Thu 23-May-13 08:24:57

DS is apparently exceeding - but exceeding what?! Does it mean exceeding the average level for his age or his exceeding expectations for him personally? ie. Could a child have very poor literacy and numeracy levels and be very behind his/her age group, but progress better than expected and therefore be classed as exceeding?

tiredbutnotweary Thu 23-May-13 09:59:17

Well the term exceeding relates to the Early Learning Goals. Children are assessed as emerging, expected and exceeding them. These are more challenging than they were in previous years so by exceeding them he is doing very well indeed.

If you don't know already then find out if he is exceeding all 17 ELGs (if he is then I imagine he keeps you on your toes!!)

For more detail look here:

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/a0068102/early-years-foundation-stage-eyfs

And download the handbook (it will have all the information you need and more)!

PassTheTwiglets Thu 23-May-13 10:20:28

The ELGs are the same for all children of all abilities, yes? So it says nothing about his progress, just about his attainment, is that right?

He was exceeding in 16 of them (he's the eldest in the class though) but I didn't really understand what it meant, so thanks for your explanation!

Periwinkle007 Thu 23-May-13 10:31:28

yes it is attainment not progress. the progress bit should come from what levels they decided he was at when he started in reception in september.

We haven't been given any info about any of this yet from our reception class.

PassTheTwiglets Thu 23-May-13 10:37:58

I haven't been given any of this info officially, I was just looking through his teacher's notes in his folder the other day (the teacher gave it to me, I hasten to add!)

I suppose I want to make sure that he's making good progress rather than just hitting targets. He is a very bright kid but I want to know that he's still making progress and not just lazily coasting along on his ability... though I suppose that this isn't really important in Reception smile

learnandsay Thu 23-May-13 10:50:53

All education is important.

Periwinkle007 Thu 23-May-13 10:54:26

I think quite a few of them coast in reception. my daughter is. I remember her coming home and saying they had been asked to write a number line and she went up to 13 or 14 I forget which. I asked why she had stopped there and her answer was 'well it was further than anyone else so no point continuing'.

learnandsay Thu 23-May-13 11:34:57

A child isn't lazily coasting in Reception. A child in Reception is just doing what she's been asked to do. If she can accurately subtract from a three digit number but is only being asked to do addition with numbers up to twenty the child isn't coasting; the teacher is.

Periwinkle007 Thu 23-May-13 11:40:43

good point, in that case my daughter is just doing what she is asked and not having the opportunity to do more. (I should add that the teacher does try and stretch them a bit but I really think they have no idea what she and certainly a few of the others are able to do)

simpson Thu 23-May-13 11:46:02

DD is also in reception and is very bright (especially in literacy) but no way is she coasting.

She is being encouraged to write more (learning about how to structure a story) and double and halve numbers, count in 2s,3s and5s, 2 and 3 D shapes as well as loads of "topic" such as space, mini beasts, healthy eating etc.

She has guided reading once a week and has to do homework on that (book reports, character profiles, write an alternative ending etc).

She has a spelling test weekly too.

Having said all this, I still don't believe that the school know how good DD is at reading. Or the types of books she reads at home (I don't write it in her reading diary) but tbh as everything else is so good, I am not too bothered.

learnandsay Thu 23-May-13 12:01:56

Some schools really believe in learning through play in Reception and having absolutely no formal teaching in Reception at all. Others it's clear do believe in teaching Reception children. My own personal view is children should be taught in school and teachers should find out what children can already do and show an interest in what they can already do and build on it. Clearly some don't. But I guess that's their choice.

Periwinkle007 Thu 23-May-13 12:49:01

Simpson - have a book recommendation for you, can I send a message to you through this or shall I stick it over on http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_books

simpson Thu 23-May-13 14:45:24

Oh PM me please! Always after new books grin

She has just finished The Kitten with no Name and we are about to start a Mercy Watson book tonight.

She is getting very into poetry atm, so if you have any ideas on that it would be good too smile

Periwinkle007 Thu 23-May-13 14:50:26

how do I PM you? I put the details here on this thread http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_books/1762916-FAO-Simpson-and-anyone-else-with-an-inquisitive-child-you-likes-finding-things-in-books

not like a normal story book at all but my girls are really enjoying it and uses their brains more than just reading.

poetry popular here too - I think because she has noticed the books are the shortest in the reading box but that is beside the point. We have a lovely book Poems for Young Children by Miles Kelly. We were given it as a present, very thick, hundreds of poems, mostly classics, includes riddles as well

simpson Thu 23-May-13 14:57:33

To PM you just click the envelope thingie at the top of the page and send a message, but don't worry I will check out the thread, thanks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now