Talk

Advanced search

Nursery helper

(14 Posts)
j3ss0p Thu 23-May-13 06:17:43

I have been told that I can go on the school trip but cannot have my 4 yr old shy child with me to look after, she has been really unsettled at nursery do you think I should complain or am I being a neurotic mum?

chickensaladagain Thu 23-May-13 06:29:27

It's common practise -would you really be giving the other children in your group equally if your daughter was amongst them?
My mum used to help out on trips 30 years ago and it was the same rules then

Alf1e Thu 23-May-13 06:46:56

Thanks for advice, was not sure about the procedures as in my last child's primary school you were always placed with your own child and others.

Runoutofideas Thu 23-May-13 06:55:29

I wouldn't go. My dd2 was very unsettled at pre-school and reception. There is no way she would have been happy with me being there but looking after another group. Better to let her build her confidence by going on the trip without you imo.

mrz Thu 23-May-13 07:07:49

Are you there as a parent helper?

When we have nursery trips parents are responsible for their own child not for other children.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 23-May-13 07:21:22

You're being silly to consider complaining. I'm not sure what you're accusing the staff of actually. Deliberately upsetting you?

The staff probably see a trip as a chance for children to have a tiny bit of responsibility ie remember who they need to be with, be sensible with someone unfamiliar.

mrz Thu 23-May-13 07:32:41

Why do they need to be with someone unfamiliar?

ShatnersBassoon Thu 23-May-13 07:59:23

I don't think they need to be paired with someone unfamiliar, but being with someone other than their parent might encourage confidence in a child.

LIZS Thu 23-May-13 08:13:03

Think you are taking this overly personally . Surely it is no different to not wanting parents to volunteer in their own child's class or teachers to teach own children. Unless you are there specifically at their request to support your child or others are having their own dc in their group to "look after" then you have to go with the flow.

Alf1e Thu 23-May-13 09:23:15

Thank you for both sets of advice, I spoke to the teacher this morning and I will go in with a view that I'm looking after the other children but we will play it by ear if my child becomes upset! Feel much happier and grateful for all advice as it helped me with my judgement when talking to the teacher.

mrz Thu 23-May-13 19:11:59

but that would be completely against EYFS principles which recognise that young children learn and develop best when supported by familiar adults (especially their own parents) ShatnersBassoon

MaybeBentley Thu 23-May-13 20:10:07

I'm glad you've got it sorted. But I hope the teacher is thinking this through thoroughly from all the children's point of view. If you are in looking after a group of children and you are "playing it by ear" what happens to the other children if your daughter gets upset/difficult? Will they have to be absorbed into other groups and all the confusion and upset that may cause them? You can't give them the care they need if your are taken up by your upset child if they remain with you. As a parent sending my child on a trip with you I would be concerned (Sorry!)

mrz Fri 24-May-13 06:46:14

nursery helpers shouldn't be responsible for large groups of children when on trips ...

Alf1e Tue 28-May-13 11:10:32

Thanks for all comments, I went on the nursery trip and my daughter did become distressed when she was placed into another group, she then got swapped into my group and became totally content so I was then able to pay the other children much more attention. I did however notice that other children were placed with their parents so could not understand what the fuss was all about! We all had a great day out in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now