Talk

Advanced search

Inspection report in. How much does an Outstanding in all areas about for under the new guidelines?

(9 Posts)
educator123 Fri 17-May-13 17:08:35

Just that really.

It's a school with a very good reputation and has just received its third and highly complementary outstanding report.

I read lots on hear about achieving highly often just reflects a head whom knows how to jump through hoops and do the right paperwork.

educator123 Fri 17-May-13 17:09:28

I've

MrsMelons Fri 17-May-13 17:24:41

I don't think a school achieving outstanding will always mean that it is NOT outstanding but I and many others are often sceptical as being closely involved in ofsted inspections often a head/nursery manager who knows what ofsted are looking for with regards to policies and paperwork can get an outstanding for the setting without actually having outstanding teaching/care practices.

I would never choose an outstanding school above a good school based on ofsted alone for this reason.

I have recently been involved (not directly) with a setting which had a serious (justified) complaint made about them to ofsted, a full inspection followed soon after. The care is dreadful, there have been many incidents that are unacceptable and the child retention rate is low due to this. The manager is exceptional at the paperwork and they have just received an outstanding! There are other settings that have outstanding care and early years education but can't get above a good due to paperwork etc.

I think maybe it is slightly different with nurseries/preschools as they have unannounced inspections with just one day spent in the setting so I am not sure ofsted ever get a true picture of what the setting is like.

LatteLady Fri 17-May-13 18:47:44

The goalposts that Ofsted has set have changed considerably recently... if they have outstanding grades, then they are doing something right. No matter how good a HT is they cannot cover up everything, at least in my experience and I am a former inspector for Ofsted, so my views may be biased WEG

To a certain extent, yes you have to jump through hoops but if you can back it up you get found out PDQ.

LatteLady Fri 17-May-13 18:48:38

oops... I meant to type cannot back it up... doh!

MrsMelons Fri 17-May-13 18:51:49

Latte - I am sure you are right in many cases but I just can't see how a nursery who has staff stealing from children, children left outside alone without anyone realising and breach of ratios regularly can get an outstanding ofsted last month!

MrsMelons Fri 17-May-13 18:52:58

The do however have a policy for everything in place, up to date registers etc etc though and very full learning journies - all at the detriment of the care!

educator123 Fri 17-May-13 20:31:59

Well the school I am talking about has received outstanding in every area - teaching, behaviors etc and have very good results but was still curious as to whether this would still be possible to achieve by knowing how to 'cheat the system'

Imo the head seems brilliant the teachers seems brilliant the way they do things seem brilliant but if ofsted is the only official confirmation to parents and it is unreliable how does any parent know their child is at a good school after drop off ...

MrsMelons Fri 17-May-13 20:41:41

educator - it does not mean the school isn't outstanding, if it is outstanding in every area it may well be but I don't think it is 100% reliable. It can work the other way though and a school that is excellent may receive a lower rating.

All inspectors are different also, I have also worked in a setting that had just started to put in good practices but in no way was ready to receive a good but on the day it went well and it got 'good' in every area, the next inspection there were plenty of outstanding areas but the inspector was upset by something out of our control and we still only were 'good'.

I truly believe you know if a school is good, you only have to visit during school time and walk around. I chose a satisfactory school over an outstanding one because of this, it is now good with some outstanding areas and it contonously improving.

If it seems brilliant then it probably is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now